What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Updated Info on Flap Actuator Motor

WA85

Well Known Member
I recently experienced intermittent operation of my flaps while in flight. After searching the VAF files, I found info on the grease intrusion issue and the contact info for Usher Precision out in Oregon (current supplier for the motor). I found a VAF thread with a POC (Brad at Usher Precision 503-992-0015), I called and found that the Brad retired and the new POC is Lori. New motors p/n 9234S004 can be had for $125, with the worm gear installed. Lori mentioned that about two years ago, the motor was redesigned to alleviate the grease intrusion problem by installing O-rings on the shaft and that grease intrusion into the motor should not be a future problem. In my case it wasn't grease intrusion, it was dirty brushes / armature. My motor had a date code of 2011. I also found that one of the two, 2.125" long, #6 aluminum screws, that hold the motor together had fractured, so I only had one screw holding the motor together. I am not sure if this contributed to the intermittent operation of the motor. The other screw stripped upon removal due to the locktite holding firmly to the threads in the motor body. I couldn't find #6 aluminum screws, so I replaced them with steel screws...which after thinking about it may not be a good idea, even though the motor appears to work fine after re-assembly. Re-assembly of the brushes was just as big a pain as everyone said it was...using the wire twists works well. I am not sure if replacing the aluminum screws with steel screws will have any negative affect on the motor's future operation, but since flying around with my flaps stuck at 25 deg wasn't a pleasant experience, I figure a new (updated) motor for $125 is prudent insurance. I was not able to determine if the new motors use aluminum screws or not.

I recently experienced intermittent operation of my flaps while in flight. After searching the VAF files, I found info on the grease intrusion issue and the contact info for Usher Precision out in Oregon (current supplier for the motor). I found a VAF thread with a POC (Brad at Usher Precision 503-992-0015), I called and found that the Brad retired and the new POC is Lori. New motors p/n 9234S004 can be had for $125, with the worm gear installed. Lori mentioned that about two years ago, the motor was redesigned to alleviate the grease intrusion problem by installing O-rings on the shaft and that grease intrusion into the motor should not be a future problem. In my case it wasn't grease intrusion, it was dirty brushes / armature. My motor had a date code of 2011. I also found that one of the two, 2.125" long, #6 aluminum screws, that hold the motor together had fractured, so I only had one screw holding the motor together. I am not sure if this contributed to the intermittent operation of the motor. The other screw stripped upon removal due to the locktite holding firmly to the threads in the motor body. I couldn't find #6 aluminum screws, so I replaced them with steel screws...which after thinking about it may not be a good idea, even though the motor appears to work fine after re-assembly. Re-assembly of the brushes was just as big a pain as everyone said it was...using the wire twists works well. I am not sure if replacing the aluminum screws with steel screws will have any negative affect on the motor's future operation, but since flying around with my flaps stuck at 25 deg wasn't a pleasant experience, I figure a new (updated) motor for $125 is prudent insurance. I was not able to determine if the new motors use aluminum screws or not.

Use a proper size socket to hold the brushes apart as you slide them in place.

Back