VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Have you ever caught a problem during pre-flight?
Nope, never found any issues. 20 6.27%
Yes, only minor issues 133 41.69%
Yes, and once was an issue that could have cause major problems. 89 27.90%
Yes, and more than once I have caught major issues. 77 24.14%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2018, 10:04 AM

The real question is, what did you miss in your preflight that should have been caught?
Old 07-14-2018, 02:24 PM

One for the helicopter guys that makes you pucker-broken pitch link bolt in main rotor of Bell 47.
N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2018(my reminder)
Old 07-14-2018, 02:34 PM

Default Cracks in trim tab attach

Found this a few years ago in pre-flight. Cracks at several of the rivets. Ended up repairing it with a pretty ugly external doubler. See repair thread.

Based at 1H0 (Creve Coeur)
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 AM

Default Return to Service Tale of Woe

At a large, busy flight school just prior to my checkride, I had one chance to get familiar with a 172 recently added to the flightline replacing my favorite practice plane. Fuel was running out of the wing, down the fuselage and in a puddle on the ground. No go.

A day or two later, the examiner and I retrieved the same plane from the hangar as we were the first to return the plane to service. As I was reaching for the seat belt, a stray tail of safety wire gashed my palm inducing some decent bleeding. I hopped out and asked for their first aid kit. None. So the lead mechanic and I improvised something like a paper-towel and duct tape solution and off I went passing my checkride.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:25 AM

Found a loose nut on an elevator hinge rod end.

Found the rudder counterweight fasteners loose and hanging low enough to snag the vert. stab, partly locking the rudder.

Yesterday found a flap switch failed on the "UP" side. Flaps went down, no up.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 07-25-2018, 01:53 PM

Before flying my "new to me" RV-8 back to Colorado last October, I discovered both locknuts on the throttle control cable housing at the carburetor bracket completely backed off..I'd actually flown it like this. I also discovered fuel spraying onto the ground during priming from an improperly made up copper tube fitting. During preflight runup before my first solo in my RV-8, the engine backfired badly when on the left mag. A local A&P, without actually testing it himself, simply told me to go fly it, saying it was probably a fouled plug (he probably thought I was having a case of "pre-solo nerves"). The 2nd A&P on the field I took it to tested it and declared the plane non-airworthy until the left mag was replaced. The 2nd A&P was top notch.

Recently, after having some mods done on my RV-8 down in AZ, I found an abnormally high amount of friction when moving the ailerons during preflight. The aileron had been removed to perform an inspection and reassembled improperly. After takeoff I noticed a heaviness in the left wing that wasn't there before....later traced to the trailing edge of the right flap being about 0.1250"-0.1875" lower than the left flap when fully retracted. My transponder was also not working. Would be nice if the workshop performed their own preflight inspection before I got there.

There's nothing like having work done by paid professionals only to have it come back with squawks that were not broken before, costing extra money to fix. I'm learning that part of the ownership learning curve is finding a reliable shop/A&P to work on the plane. I've been throwing money at it for the past several months and believe the "deferred maintenance items" have now been addressed.

As a result of the above...and spending a lot of time scouring VAF, I now take more care than ever during my preflight inspections and now have a better idea what to look for.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:49 AM

Default Pre flight

After finding the primer problem along with the throttle would not have flown it anywhere and then even thinking about a backfire and flying is wrong. Was an A&P years back and had started an RV3 way back before many on here were around.
The flight control issue should have been addressed before it was flown again no matter why you needed to fly. And another item, I would have had someone who knew RVs go over the entire aircraft every nut and bolt.
Just an fyi what you cannot see can ruin your life.