What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sean Tucker Bails

339A

Well Known Member
Just recevied this from a friend of mine.

http://www.aero-news.net/

Looks like he had a control stick issue, took so time to figure it out after takeoff and then bailed out over an empty field. I was looking foward to watching his routine this week at Sun N Fun.

Scott Mills
N339A

Just lost the airplane, Thank God.

Damn, what a shame. Thank God he survived such a failure. Sean and Wayne Handley (Raven) is/was the most interesting airshow pilots to watch in my opinion. (Whooeee!) Those two got together and invented some really wild maneuvers. I hope to see Sean in a new airplane soon. Wayne, unfortunately for airshow fans, is retired from airshow flying but still flies an Extra 300L, provides aerobatic instruction and does seminars.

yeah, this is really a shame, but i'm very happy he's is fine. he is probably the best i've seen (jim leroy being a close second). they can build a new airplane...

damn tail

When I first saw this thread I had one question - "did he hit the tail again".
The news release answered that question. "despite getting temporarily hung up on the tail"
This is not the first time Sean has encountered the tail on exit, something we have in common.

Rob H

What a shame, but glad he is OK.

I trained at Sean's school a few years ago. It was during the off season and it was amazing to see the plane get completely rebuilt over the course of two months. It is truly an amazing aircraft. They fill the fuselage with nitrogen and Sean has a small pressure gauge in the cockpit. Any decrease in pressure means a tube/weld is cracked somewhere and its time to stop flying.

There is an in-cockpit video somewhere of Sean keeping his cool as the prop flys off a Pitts he is flying (IIRC, giving a ride to a reporter). You see the prop fly by in a puff of smoke and the passenger starts freaking out. He remained calm and put it on the ground safely.

Try it at HOME

Go up to a safe altitude and with out using any pitch input, just rudder, aileron and elevator trim, try to fly your plane, NO REALLY! I wounder how it would work. I think its doable, however landing? Doubt it. Obviously that was Sean's idea. Does this mean a parachute can save your life? Yea sure that is why I wear one. Here is a more direct link:

Sean Bails from the Oracle

Also in aero-news a LSA goes down with an aviation writer due to LOW POWER from the little ROTAX. Don't let people tell you that high performance aircraft are more dangerous. Obviously the engine was not at 100% power for some reason, but when you are Rocking only minimal power you can't afford to loose any:

Light Sport Airplanes have low HP by design and Regulation. Is that good?

George

Last edited:
Low power

gmcjetpilot said:
...Also in aero-news a LSA goes down with an aviation writer due to LOW POWER from the little ROTAX. Don't let people tell you that high performance aircraft are more dangerous. Obviously the engine was not at 100% power for some reason, but when you are Rocking only minimal power you can't afford to loose any:

Light Sport Airplanes have low HP by design and Regulation. Is that good?
When I fly an aircraft with a fixed pitch prop, my first check after applying power on the takeoff roll is to ensure I have the expected RPM. If not, I chop power and stay on the ground. From what this article said, this guy didn't do that. I think a similar problem could happen with any engine on any aircraft. I was happy to read that it seems his prognosis is good.

Oracle Challenger Memories

These are all from Oshkosh 2003-2005 (click for full size). Sure glad Sean is OK.

UPDATE: Fixed Links (I hope!)

Last edited:
Wow... glad he is ok. I really enjoyed watching that little red Oracle plane at the Riverside Airshow this past Saturday. The power of the aircraft, and his talents in using it was simply amazing. He could hang that thing on its prop for so long, you'd think it was a helicopter!

Dang, I just read this on landings.com. I though I would get here first and start the second guessing, but nooooo, there's already 10 guys in front of me. BTW, the link that was on landings.com pointed to a more typical local news report where it said the rudder cables on his control stick broke. I love bashing the local news media--they're such easy targets.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060405/NEWS01/604050324/1002
Tracy.

All the time

rv8ch said:
When I fly an aircraft with a fixed pitch prop, my first check after applying power on the takeoff roll is to ensure I have the expected RPM. If not, I chop power and stay on the ground. From what this article said, this guy didn't do that. I think a similar problem could happen with any engine on any aircraft. I was happy to read that it seems his prognosis is good.

Heck, I do that no matter if FP or CSP. It's on the runway, full power, check MP to make sure it's close to 29", RPM where it should be, fuel flow and all in the green. Sometimes I'll do that with the breaks held and then release.

Oh, and when rolling, make sure the AS comes alive at 30-40kts or something isn't right.

I can't do that with the Rocket. I can barely hold the tail on the ground to do a static run-up. Above 1600 RPM, the tail starts to lift.

The good news is that once I shove the power lever forward, you know real fast whether you're getting full power or not.

f1rocket said:
The good news is that once I shove the power lever forward, you know real fast whether you're getting full power or not.

Yeah - I guess if you start to black out you are getting full power?

:p

landing with trim

George:
The last AOPA magazine (I think it was Pilot)) had the article on the 172 in it. Landing with only elevator trim & rudder was done as a "sales point" by the Cessna test pilots. Granted, it did take some practice, but that was part of the land-o-matic sales pitch from Cessna. :)

Marshall Alexander
RV10
wings/ailerons

RV10Man said:
George:
The last AOPA magazine (I think it was Pilot)) had the article on the 172 in it. Landing with only elevator trim & rudder was done as a "sales point" by the Cessna test pilots. Granted, it did take some practice, but that was part of the land-o-matic sales pitch from Cessna. :)

Marshall Alexander
RV10
wings/ailerons
20 years ago when getting my PPL my instructor did this with me in the plane, just to show me it could be done. I was one frightened student on that flight, probably because I had around 20 hours TT when he did it.

That guy had me do more non standard "stuff" than any of the other instructors on that field. I think it made me a better pilot but at the time I was constantly cleaning my shorts out!

No yoke landings

N941WR said:
20 years ago when getting my PPL my instructor did this with me in the plane, just to show me it could be done. I was one frightened student on that flight, probably because I had around 20 hours TT when he did it....
I was taught the "no yoke" landing in a warrior. It's not hard in a stable aircraft like that, but I wouldn't try it in an aerobatic aircraft.

I'm guessing that Biplane is way too short-coupled to try a no-elevator landing. I also heard that he has a backup airplane, so he won't lose much time if he feels like flying again soon...

The news report said he had 15 minutes to talk with the Sheriff, find an open field and then jump out. He must have had some control but didn't feel it was enough for landing.

Glad to see he is OK though. He is always the best show at Oshkosh.

Yeah,

Completing an "elevator trim only" landing is not too bad in a stable, high wing aircraft like a Cessna, but top end aerobatic airplanes are set up for neutral stability, which makes them difficult to just fly cross country. Never mind landing one with only elevator trim for pitch conrol.

Cheers, Pete

Mustang said:
Completing an "elevator trim only" landing is not too bad in a stable, high wing aircraft like a Cessna
It is no surprise that this is possible on a Cessna, as FAR 23.677(b) actually makes this a design requirement for type certificated light aircraft:

FAR 23.677(b)Trimming devices must be designed so that, when any one connecting or transmitting element in the primary flight control system fails, adequate control for safe flight and landing is available with--
(1) For single-engine airplanes, the longitudinal trimming devices

This requirement has been in FAR 23 since it was originally issued, in 1965. I'm on the road right now, so can't grab a copy of the CAR 3 which was the standard before FAR 23, to see what it says.

060405tucker2-tn.jpg

060405tucker1-tn.jpg

Wow...it's nice to see him standing there with a cool one in his hands and a smile on his face!

Jeff
-8 wings

Back