What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O290d2 machined to take o320 jugs

rsrguy3

I'm New Here
Before you tell me to just sell my stuff and buy an o320, understand I have most of the parts to follow through on this, as I want to mod the o290 and build my 0320 to a 340. I have the time and am doing this to learn.
I know its it's been done and discussed on this forum before but I'm not getting the data I need to make a decision, I've done the searches, so please bear with me.
I have the o290 as well as the o320 motor, crank and jugs. I know I can bore my spigots to take the o320 jugs, but that is all I've learned about so far. Can I just bolt the jugs on and go, with the o290 crank and rods... as my understanding is the stroke is the same? Or do I need the o320 crank rods and pins? What other considerations are there? what I really need is a list of things to do.... like the galactic overload gives me before I go to the store.
Lastly I spoke at length to an engine builder somewhere in mt or mn .... general area that did all the case work but I've lost his contact info he's like a lycoming methuselah he was very helpful and knowledgeable and was able to walk me through all of it, sounded just a little crazy too, if he sounds familiar could you point me that way as well?
Thanks in advance,
Guy

55 f35
53 pa22
62 150
Looking for an rv 3 or 4 basket case

Curtis Pitts used to do this many years ago. I think before the era of the wide deck cylinders.
What you need to do is get a parts manual for the 0 290 and 0 320 and compare the parts such as connecting rods.

If your using the cylinders off the 320, they have to be narrow deck.....if the 320 is a wide deck the cylinders won't fit the narrow deck bolt pattern of the 290 case.

Did I make that clear??........I hope so

Are there other camshafts than the original that would work on an o-290d2? I was told and o-235 camshaft would work.
Any recommendations for a shop to do case work in the northeast?

Back