What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

looking for circle cutter once shown on VAF

N713R

Well Known Member
Hello fellas.

Several years ago someone showed, perhaps even advertised a handheld circle cutting mill that attached to a air die grinder. If I recall correctly, it was about $300. Anyone have one, and could comment on it. And further, does anyone know who made them, and how I could get a hold of one?
Just as a point of reference, I am not refering to the Malco sheet metal cutting tool used on a cordless drill. This tool I am remembering was machined aluminum, and was a short run type of tool that was maybe only displayed or shown here on VAF. I could be completely off my rocker, but I sure seem to remember it vividly.

Thank for any help.

Ben Schneider

Something like this? I have a similar device and it works great...

https://www.amazon.com/Malco-HC1-2-Inch-12-Inch-Accessory/dp/B000289542

I have one and have used it for a number of holes. Minimum hole diameter is about 2". The edges of the hole come out rough and I need to go back with a large sanding drum to smooth it out.

Once the hole is mostly cut, the inner piece can easily move around. Since that's the support for the center post, I've learned to use a piece of wood that's pilot-drilled for the center post, under the work, to back it up. Then it works okay. Please note that I said "okay," rather than "great."

One issue if you're thinking of using this on the aircraft, as opposed to using it on a part, is that the tool itself is large enough to sometimes interfere with or contact something on the airframe. That keeps it from making the full circle.

Dave

Last edited:
hole saw

A trick to using a standard hole saw is to run the outside perimeter of the saw against a belt or disc sander to reduce or remove the tooth set...makes the holes much smoother...

Back