What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

31b-15 wire length

tomkk

Well Known Member
31b-15 step 3 has me separate the WH-L435 (YEL/PRP) wire (among others) and route them out through the F-1204 snap bushings. Step 8 has me route that WH-L435 (YEL/PRP) and the WH-L-436 (YEL/GRN) wires to the location of the ELT.

My problem is the (YEL/PRP) wire is way too short to get there. That wire is about 5' shorter than the (YEL/GRN) that it gets routed with.

The wire I think is WH-L453 is primarily Purple with a Yellow stripe. I would have called that PRP/YEL not the other way around. Is that the same as YEL/PRP? There is no wire that's Yellow with a Purple stripe nor a White wire labeled "453".

I'm out of town, so I just working from memory. I just did those wires about a week ago, they were all the correct length. However, it may be that the YEL/PRP you are looking for is actually a White wire that is labeled with the correct wire number.

I had a couple of wires that were not the designated color - they were white wires labeled with the specified wire number. I think the YEL/PRP wire you found goes some place else - I think it goes to the Right side wing connector.

Thanks, Rick. I remember reading about the cable vendor being able to substitute a white wire for a colored one if they labeled it so I had already checked for that. Never hurts to check again. No luck, though. There are 3 white wires with labels but the labels were RZ441, RZ442 and F695 - nothing like WH-L435.

The shorter wire could be the right length to reach the right wing connector but I don't see any other mention of that color wire in section 31.

I believe WH-L435 and WH-L436 are the supply and ground wires for the cockpit light mounted on the roll bar. See pg. 31-11, step 3 for what leads actually go to the ELT (GPs data and power). I hope this helps.

Alex

Just to close this out, I checked with Vans and they said to just add extra wire to get the correct length. Be sure to label the wire!

Back