What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spark Plug Wire question?

Dave12

Well Known Member
I just started my new 912 and while synching the carbs, I have noticed a misfire above 3500 rpm. The compression is good, spark plugs have been ruled out, floats are light, so I am wondering if a spark plug lead/connector is the culprit. The number 4 cylinder spark plugs are very dark when I pull them. I seem to have read on the forum that the connection between the wire and the spark plug connector is very simple, but I don't want to go into this until I am up to speed on it. I can't seem to find the thread on this. Anyone know where it is or have any experience similar to this?

does it miss on both mags and does it miss at all revs above 3500 or does it start to run smoothly at higher rpm's

Go to the Emagair website and look at their installation manual on how to build Spark Plus wires.

They have it for both Aviation and auto plugs.

Resistance could be an issue.

There has been recent discussion on the ROTAX-OWNER site regarding the proper seating of the spark plug boots on 912 engines. You might check into that discussion.

Daves eye only!

Hi Dave here is the Intel on the spark plug wire. The spark plug resistor cover screws onto the spark plug wire. To remove the spark plug resistor cover cut the small tie wrap then unscrew the cover as if you were removing a nut off a bolt. There is no copper wire in side the spark plug wire. There is a carbon fiber conductor in it. As you can see from the pic below there is a pin or small screw in side the spark plug resistor cover that screws into the center of the spark plug wire to make positive contact with the inner carbon fiber. So if I thought there is a problem with a connection between the resistor cover and the wire I would remove the resistor cover then with a sharp razor blade gently cut back a small length of the wire then screw the resistor cove back on followed by a new tie wrap. Here are a few pic of the resistor cover.;)

7ceb22942072871b0241d1c28ee12667_zps8e9b15e5.jpg

edfeab97a56da01bac221ce73abf95de_zps8ecd1065.jpg

ca901857ee8b374ef709fd2f32de7375_zps9be21908.jpg

7d96b0757e0977c4e71f9abbdc1f6030_zps1f5f1931.jpg

Back