What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 trim servo

normanblevine

I'm New Here
TRIM SERVO IS ONLY WORKING A LITTLE PART TIME, DO YOU GUYS AND GALS THINK I NEED A NEW ONE? I HAVE NOT REMOVED IT YET TO TRY TO FIX IT.. I WAS NOT A BUILDER I BAUGHT N212ZF USED.
NORM

More than likely it is the wiring not the servo. Particularly if it was an early build. Take off the fiberglass tailcone pieces. If the servo is connected by a lot of individual crimped spade lugs, check those. Have someone run the trim while you pull/wiggle each wire. The wires are thin and do not necessarily crimp well. Later kit versions used a better connector than individual spade lugs.

So check for looseness of the wire at that connection. Consider soldering or getting the new connector from VANS (or aftermarket) or new spade lugs. To install that thin of a wire in that size spade lug you need to double it back or use a short piece of extra wire in the crimp.

If there's no problem at the connector, open up the servo and inspect the wires. I had a similar problem and found broken wires where the wires exit the servo housing. (I think mine were unintentionally cut, but I can't rule out that they broke from vibration.)

Trim Servo

Thanks for the advice, I replaced ther servo and doubled the wires and it did work. I am sure my old one is still based on your post so I will keep it as a spare. The only other problem I had is it had two white wires coming out of the servo and the plane had one white and one red. I guess the guy that built my plane, not me, had to replace the white wire and used red.

Thanks guys

Back