What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bing Float Question

Dave12

Well Known Member
Just curious if anyone has encountered bad floats right out of the box. I just started my new 912 and it runs rough, idles high even at the stops, has 150 degree lower egt on the pilot's side and raw fuel in the tray after 5 minutes of run. I have a fuel drip on the bottom of the bowl. I have not weighed them yet, but it looks like I am buying a scale. Lockwood's advises they have no floats available and no idea when they will.

A float problem is just one of a number of things that could cause it.

Could also be contamination in one or both carbs.

You didn't mention putting gauges on and doing a carb. synch yet. If the carb synch is out by quite a bit, it can make it run quite rough and cause a loss of fuel. It would also cause an EGT imbalance.

Hey Dave,

Sorry for your troubles. There were some rumors going around at Sebring this past weekend. The word is that Rotax does finally have a handle on the float issue. Rumors stated that the problem has been identified as a manufacturing problem, and that they are now in production with a new process. The new floats will have a fuel impervious coating, and will be identifiable by 2 distinct black dots that are left by heat probes. The best guess for availability, here in the USA, is mid Feb. May not be what you want to hear, but at least it is something. Wish I could add a name of someone in authority, but I've promised not to, so this is the best that I can do. I just hope that it is all factual.

Tom

Just curious if anyone has encountered bad floats right out of the box. I just started my new 912 and it runs rough, idles high even at the stops, has 150 degree lower egt on the pilot's side and raw fuel in the tray after 5 minutes of run. I have a fuel drip on the bottom of the bowl. I have not weighed them yet, but it looks like I am buying a scale. Lockwood's advises they have no floats available and no idea when they will.

Did you ever pop your carb bowl? The cork gaskets are pretty flimsy and pretty much are destroyed anytime you pop the bowl - you can order better ones from Lockwood. I had 3 out of 4 floats that pretty much were done (only one was sunk) after 10 hrs. I'm due for my 25/60 check here in a few days and I am smelling a little fuel, no drips however so I may have another bad float.

A good carb synch is a must - start with the mechanical synch with the idle stop set screw and then the vacuum synch - both are described in the MM.

After you check the bowls you will need another synch.

Did you ever pop your carb bowl? The cork gaskets are pretty flimsy and pretty much are destroyed anytime you pop the bowl - you can order better ones from Lockwood. I had 3 out of 4 floats that pretty much were done (only one was sunk) after 10 hrs. I'm due for my 25/60 check here in a few days and I am smelling a little fuel, no drips however so I may have another bad float.

A good carb synch is a must - start with the mechanical synch with the idle stop set screw and then the vacuum synch - both are described in the MM.

After you check the bowls you will need another synch.

Understood. This is my second 12 so I am familiar, the situation is the throttle arms are at their stops, so it should be idling pretty low not at 2300. I will be pulling the bowls tomorrow to see what I can find and to weigh the floats and I have considered the gaskets as I don't suspect the fuel is exiting through the vent hose. Lock wood advised that it is entirely possible to have defective floats at 0 hrs. Cactus, you stated that 3 of your 4 floats were done and only one was sunk. The other 2 were deemed defective by their weight? Thanks for your and the other responses. This is something very basic and I am all over it. It just seems a bit crazy to have bad floats this soon, at least you got 10 hours out of yours. Maybe the floats are good. I will shut up for now until I have some more facts.

Back