What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlightCom 403 Intercom Quit Working...

Piper J3

Well Known Member
The FlightCom 403 in my RV-12 quit working. I removed the unit from the panel and heard something loose inside. I took off the top cover plate and discovered a nut and insulator bushing the holds a power transistor heatsink vibrated loose and fell on the circuit board. The remaining screw without its insulator allowed the power transistor to short-circuit against the metal case. The real problem is when the 403 quits working it prevents audio from the comm radio to reach the headsets.

A new (used) 403 is now on order and I will remove the top cover plate and put some adhesive on the exposed thread to prevent recurrence.

--

2mpy3cy.png

--

34yvbys.png

The only time I ever lost comms was when my alternator and battery went out on my Cherokee. Naturally it was the one time I had left my portable comm at home. I shut off everything but the XPDR and had enough juice to squawk 7600 and fortunately got a steady green from the tower. Fortunate because I pretty much forgot all the other light signals! When selecting 7600 I inadvertently went thru 7500 which woke up the boys in PHX TRACON.

Back