What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall foot wells oil canning

acam37

Well Known Member
The title says it all. I?ve been working on this plane for 2-1/2 years and today after raising the tail to calibrate the fuel tanks the firewall footwells oil can severely. The left foot well pops pretty bad when you rock the wings and you have all the weight on the mains. Now the question is, what to do to fix this?

Nope. The lower firewall is one piece. It probably has something to do with the governor cut out.

Oil canning

I rebuild the front end of my 4 last winter, installing the gussets on the internal corners. See ?firewall wrinkle? thread. I was amazed to have the oil canning sound from the footwell when I first taxied the aircraft. I could replicate it by bouncing the wingtip, and also just by applying light pressure to the firewall by hand. No movement on the right side, but the left was flexing. A dial indicator showed about 15 thou max movement. I put a piece of self adhesive rubber between the firewall and the engine mount. No flex.
I think the issue is a result of building some tension into the firewall structure when the two pieces are riveted up. Maybe riveting from the sides towards the middle. It?s not related to the more serious damage myself and others have had (see photos on other thread) apart from the fact that the loads on the lower corners are pretty complex, and the aircraft structure can?t quite handle them. There?s always going to be a tiny movement, which in my case, and probably yours, is just enough to tweak the built in tension of the firewall.

Stiffener idea

I have added the gussets to the vertical sides per previous threads. This discussion gives me the idea to use the flat footwell as an oil cooler mount . The additional bracketry would surely address oil canning, FWIW.

Back