What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Todd's canopies

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I just wanted to pass on some exceptional customer service from Todd Silver at Todd's Canopy's.

I purchased a Todd's canopy for my -8 through Aircraft Spruce after speaking to Todd.

I bugged him again on the phone while trimming it, fitting it to the frame and before the big cut. He was great and said to call any time if I had questions.

Well, after the big cut, I was final trimming it and put a few landmark holes into the canopy and frame before the Sika prep. The temps were above 80 degrees, I had the proper bit, slow turning and little pressure letting the bit do the work and after 5 holes were drilled, no problems. I was drilling my last one and there was a cracking sound. I stopped and looked in horror as the crack went vertical from the drill bit to about 1.5 inches. I stop drilled it and walked away in disgust.

I eventually went back to see what could have caused it. There was no stress on the canopy at all, except for the spring clamps holding it in position, which were spaced well away from where I was drilling the holes. Did I put too much pressure on it? I don't think so, I tried to maintain the same pressure as the last holes and let the drill bit do the work. Temps were good and were around 84 degrees. I don't know what went wrong.

I sent Todd an email about what happened and asked for suggestions. I included pictures of the hole, the crack, and the drill bit used. Todd suggested products to fix it.

Todd then sent me a further email asking if the skirt would cover up the crack, and if I ordered a new one yet from Van's. I told him the skirt wouldn't cover it and that it just happened I hadn't ordered anything yet. Todd then offered to replace the canopy if I paid for the shipping. I was surprised, but very grateful!

Now there's great customer service and a supplier standing behind their product. Shipping has been arranged and the new canopy will be enroute shortly.

Just a shout out to Todd for his phenomenal response and taking care of the customer. Turned my very bad day into a great one.

Much thanks Todd and when I get it done, I'll be sure to head south and take you up for a ride! You're a class act sir!

Canopy crack

Sorry to hear that happened. I too have one of Todd's canopies for my -4 fastback. It was 100% sikaflexed but I also had to drill some holes after it was already glued so I could secure the fiberglass skirts for gluing. Before I did I took a scrap piece and drilled a bunch of holes intentionally trying to get one to form a crack to no avail. I even bent it in half and it didn't break. It just formed a crease. I've been meaning to contact him to see what they are made of. I know it's not plexiglas. I'm thinking Lexan.

Back