What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AX50 Carbon Induction System Titan Engines

Relentless

Well Known Member
Check this out! Here is the first production R Series carbon air induction sump. You saw it first on Vans Airforce....

14o6e6f.jpg

This is designed to house an internal air filter
20kc0hh.jpg

Note the tuned carbon trumpets inside airbox
wi3c3.jpg

Last edited:
Kevin, it's beautiful. The integrated air filter is pure genius. I spent hours fitting the snorkel to the forward inducted 8 cowling. Then I needed to fit the filter. Your carbon box should allow the builder to install a scat hose with a screen and go fly with a simpler system. The weight savings is a major plus and I'm sure it will make more power with an incoming cool air charge.

This stuff looks great, when it comes time to ovhl my current ECI engine I'd love to trade-up to one of these babies.

On another note, Superior tried using a light weight Ryton sump and found it failed if the engine backfired, hopefully this one won't suffer from the same issue.

The integrated air filter looks great, I just hope changing it doesn't require major work (remove serrvo & exhaust?).

Last edited:
backfire

This stuff looks great, when it comes time to ovhl my current ECI engine I'd love to trade-up to one of these babies.

On another note, Superior tried using a light weight Ryton sump and found it failed if the engine backfired, hopefully this one won't suffer from the same issue.

we have incorporated a relief valve for just such issues. More details to come...

Kevin, it's beautiful. The integrated air filter is pure genius. I spent hours fitting the snorkel to the forward inducted 8 cowling. Then I needed to fit the filter. Your carbon box should allow the builder to install a scat hose with a screen and go fly with a simpler system. The weight savings is a major plus and I'm sure it will make more power with an incoming cool air charge.

That is really clever! How big is the filter? K&N?

K&N air filter

That is really clever! How big is the filter? K&N?

Air filter is K&N part no. 33-2273 as used on most Jaguars since 2002.
It is available from K&N stockists in USA and Europe.
Outside dimensions over the seal = 294 x 172 mm.

Air filter is K&N part no. 33-2273...
Outside dimensions over the seal = 294 x 172 mm.

Excellent. That's going to be a very low restriction filter, so much so that running without one would offer little return.

Clever stuff.

I wouldn't want a filter after the servo. A couple of insects in the passages of the servo can ruin your day.

Last edited:
Maybe not?

I wouldn't want a filter after the servo. A couple of insects in the passages of the servo can ruin your day.

I recall an EFII system being mentioned...no servo required - just a throttle plate.

Carry on!
Mark

I'm sure you're already sorting this out, but how do you mount the injector for the EFII in a carbon tube?

How much

And of course, the big question..... how much and when will it be available?
Tks,
cj

Back