What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTR200 Install - RX Stuck ON

Hello

I am part way through my RV7 build and have just about finished installing my Garmin suite, including a GTR200 Comm.

The issue I am having is that from the moment the GTR200 is powered on, it is stuck in RX mode. I have tried a variety of things including:

- Removing either end of the antenna cable (either at the antenna or radio) and this instantly causes RX to turn off

- Pushing the volume button for manual squelch which doesn't help, but I am unsure how to actually increase the squelch after doing this

- Tested continuity on my antenna cable (RG400) and confirmed that I have a good connection between the centre pin to centre pin, and then shield to shield

- My RAMI AV-17 whip antenna is mounted on the belly and I am reasonably sure has a decent termination to the airframe via the 4 mounting bolts for a ground plane

Running out of ideas to work out what my issue is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Where is your build located? It is a common problem when people are still building in their homes. Lots of electrical noise that can cause squelch to open. Especially things like LED lights. Take it outside away from the building if you can or just wait until you get to the airport, and even then you will need to be outside.

Jay

Agree

Yeah agree with that. My hangar lights cause RX signals. Simple try first at least. Also try changing freq and see if that affects it.

Troubleshooting

Any way to remove electrical power from the building the plane is in? My house has a main breaker.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Jonathan -
What are you using to power your radio? I purchased a 12v power supply for playing with my panel. Unfortunately not all power supplies are created equal. Both my GTN and GTR radios were stuck in RX when powered via the power supply. Get a 12v battery and try it - i bet the problem goes away.

GTR 200 RX

Hello

I am part way through my RV7 build and have just about finished installing my Garmin suite, including a GTR200 Comm.

The issue I am having is that from the moment the GTR200 is powered on, it is stuck in RX mode. I have tried a variety of things including:

- Removing either end of the antenna cable (either at the antenna or radio) and this instantly causes RX to turn off

- Pushing the volume button for manual squelch which doesn't help, but I am unsure how to actually increase the squelch after doing this

- Tested continuity on my antenna cable (RG400) and confirmed that I have a good connection between the centre pin to centre pin, and then shield to shield

- My RAMI AV-17 whip antenna is mounted on the belly and I am reasonably sure has a decent termination to the airframe via the 4 mounting bolts for a ground plane

Running out of ideas to work out what my issue is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jonathan,

To echo what a few others have said, start with the build environment, it is the easiest to rule out. Overhead lighting, noisy power supply's, etc.

If you continue to have issues, please reach out to us at [email protected]. There will be a bit of information we need from you, as well as several troubleshooting steps to run through to isolate the source of the interference.

Thanks,

Justin

Could be the ON/OFF//squelsh switch (left switch). Mine was faulty on my new GTR200B. I couldn?t turn the unit off. Volume and squelsh worked on mine, but not the ON/OFF. Garmin replaced it under warranty.

Jonathan -
What are you using to power your radio? I purchased a 12v power supply for playing with my panel. Unfortunately not all power supplies are created equal. Both my GTN and GTR radios were stuck in RX when powered via the power supply. Get a 12v battery and try it - i bet the problem goes away.

Thanks for all your help and responses. I checked everything outlined here as I am still building at home but CDERK you nailed it, I was powering the plane from an AC powered 12V DC Power supply which must have been creating the intereference seen. After powering the aircraft up off a 12V battery the Radio is behaving correctly.

Now I just need to work out why my Microphone inputs / intercom aren't working! The fun never ends! Thanks all, appreciate your feedback and responses once again.

Jonathan

Back