What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear control stick opening

mach25

Does Vans or anyone make a cover for the opening around the rear control stick of the RV-4. Don?t want to reinvent it if it has already been done and is available.

If not, maybe some pictures of what you?ve done with yours.

Thanks.
Jeff Bertsch

N230KT-back-seat.jpg

Jeff -

You can buy a control stick boot from pretty much any of the upholstery sources (I have gotten mine from DJ at Cleveland) and then with some minor cutting and bending, make a metal frame that velcros to the structure and holds the boot - pretty easy actually. Works for an -8, and there's no significant difference to the -4.

Paul

Stick and sidewall closeouts

IMG-20131008-00766_zpsl5ph11r9.jpg

IMG-20131008-00765_zpsl9occ6lu.jpg

Here are what I came up with to close out stick and flap mechanisms in my -4. I had visions of passenger dropping phone or something in controls, so I fabricated simple close-outs from .020" 2024-T3 and attached with simple angles/screws. I have fresh air to the rear seat via NACA duct in R/H lower wing skin and 2" SCAT plumbing that really puts out some air. The side panels are also arm rests and added very little weight.

Looks awesome Bill! Where did you pick up those stick boots? I was able to find some on ebay but they are too tall so restrict stick movement. I really like your design, one of the cleanest I've seen yet.

Clean back seat

Bill,
That is a very neat looking back seat design. I like the stick closeout and covering the flap mechanism with the arm rest is a great look. I've always been concerned with the exposed flap pushrods, and warn passengers not to put anything under them like phones, or even worse - fingers and hands. If you have pictures of the closeout cover pre-assembly that would be great.
Thanks.

All DIY pieces

Thanks for the compliments !I fabricated all my interior myself from discarded and leftover scrap. I will post some pictures of the removed panels and stick close-outs when I can. The boots are super simple to make, and I used leftover scraps from the seat covers. I made my own seats/foam and had a friend stitch the leather ( NOS unused ,discarded airline first class grey covers) that were narrowed to fit my foam. The boots are simply "cones" with a cinch loop at the top like in sweat pants. I used a tie wrap in the loop. The whole interior is installed with titanium screws, and weighs less than 5 lbs. total cost for entire interior, less than $200.00.

Back