What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FWIW RV-8 180HP CHT Oil Cooling

David-aviator

Well Known Member
After 2 days of WOT from surface to 8000' with OAT at launch in the low 90's, max CHT observed was 398 and OT 181. The CHT maxed out at 8000' after about 10 minutes of WOT leaned out to just ROP. During climb it did not go above 365.

Opening the exit area by removing 4" of cowling forward of the exhaust pipes increases air flow through the engine compartment, it helps to cool the engine. I estimate this mod increases exit area about 50%.

Does this mean:

A) 4" forward of the tip of the exhaust tips? If so what is the distance from the firewall to the exhaust tips?

Or,

B) 4" forward of the firewall?

Opening the exit area by removing 4" of cowling forward of the exhaust pipes increases air flow through the engine compartment, it helps to cool the engine. I estimate this mod increases exit area about 50%.

I am very interested in bringing my CHT's down and have got to come up with something. I am considering trimming back the exit area but 4"! I'm worried about what that would look like! Please post some pictures! And what was your CHT's running before?

I will leave the explanations and formulas to those on here more qualified than I am to post them, but I believe there are consequences to simply opening up the exit, otherwise it would be shipped that way from Vans. Better cooling, sure I'll buy that but nothing is free.

Two threads at the same time, one saying look how much better this cools and the other saying why am I so slow....are not coincidence. Before I opened up my exit substantially I would pour myself a cold one, sit down at the desk and read everything Horton wrote about his exit air experiments.

I would also keep in mind that many of us putting out substantially more horsepower do not have cooling issues, with the same cowl, unaltered. Perhaps it's an engine issue, or baffles, or oil cooler location but the 'problem' isn't the cowl even if the symptom can be cured with it. IMHO

Last edited:
I am very interested in bringing my CHT's down and have got to come up with something. I am considering trimming back the exit area but 4"! I'm worried about what that would look like! Please post some pictures! And what was your CHT's running before?

This is not rocket science, it has been done before, I picked up the idea on this forum. It does the same thing as adding a louver on the bottom or side of the cowl.

I will post picture later today. The section opened can not be seen except if you are on the floor looking up.

Opening the exit area by removing 4" of cowling forward of the exhaust pipes increases air flow through the engine compartment, it helps to cool the engine.

Of course it does. If you install pressure, temperature, and pitot probes you'll find that the upper-to-lower pressure delta is increased, the heat transfer per mass unit is decreased, and exit velocity is slowed. Mass flow is increased faster than heat transfer is decreased, so cooling capacity improves. However, more mass flow plus more velocity loss means more cooling drag.

From McCormick, Aerodynamics, Aeronautics, and Flight Mechanics:

In plain English, the first equation says:

Cooling Drag = mass x (freestream velocity minus exit velocity)

I often extend an experiment to the ridiculous just to see what happens. Recall my cowl is modified; among other things, the standard cowl's huge exit chute was removed. It is replaced with any cowl panel desired. The panel is attached with #8 screws.

Early in the test program I made a flight with no cowl exit panel in place, the result being a rather large exit. Note, it's not as large as you might think at first glance; actual exit area here is the entrance to the internal converging exit duct.

DA at 3540, OAT at 52F, 170ktas. Pressure delta was 17" H2O, which is a lot, due to near zero exit restriction and no leakage to bypass the fin passages (pressure probes were actually across the oil cooler, but that should be close to upper-lower plenum pressure delta). The interesting values were CHT, and air temperature measured just under the #1 cylinder, where it exits the baffle wrap. CHT's were 267 270 274 286 (very low, as expected), but due to the high volume driven by the large pressure delta, the cooling air was only being heated to 135F during its trip through the fins. Contrast those numbers with typical for this system; CHT around 350F in best power cruise, cylinder exit air temp around 230F, with exit area reduced to about 30 sq inches. That's cooling an IO-390.

Approximately 16 sq in is added for hot day climb, using a variable exit air door. The total is still a lot less than a stock exit.

Visual comparison. This is stock:

30 sq in exit, basically just the depth of the RV-8's belly inset (please excuse all the tape and brackets for test gear)

Open for climb:

Point is, improving heat transfer efficiency allows a reduction/I] of exit area. In the above example, it is done with extreme baffle and plenum sealing, and a larger than typical oil cooler. Empirical evidence suggests that a parallel valve motor shifts the critical emphasis to CHT, vs the angle valve's emphasis on oil cooling. With either, additional pilot controlled exit area is easily built or bought. Just leave it closed in the winter.

Last edited:
I am in Phase 1 so I'm just getting to know my plane. My engine is broken in w/75 hrs. I was cruising at altitude playing with air speeds and my eyeball air vents were both wide open. I noted my IAS then closed them both. I gained 1-1.5 mph IAS. I repeated the process several times just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I guess cowl cooling works the same. More airflow = more drag...... First thing I'm going to do for my high CHT's is optimize my baffles and plug every thing thats not contributing to cooling my fins. (I mean really get serious this time because I have done this before) Then maybe trim my exit just enough so I can live with my cruise CHT's. Then install a cowl flap for climbing if needed. I have noticed some improvement in the last couple hours, I have 9 total, and I'm wondering if my baffling is getting hot and conforming better to seal off the air.

Does this mean:

A) 4" forward of the tip of the exhaust tips? If so what is the distance from the firewall to the exhaust tips?

Or,

B) 4" forward of the firewall?

Rick, visualize the opening where the pipes protrude from the engine compartment. It is 14" wide and 4" down.

The 4 pipe exhaust system jams that 14 x 4 opening. The 56" square area is reduced to 52" (about 10%). By removing a section of the ramp, it is about 10" wide by 4" going forward, the exit area is increased by 40" square, providing 96" of exit area.

Yes, it adds cooling drag but the first priority is to remove heat from the engine, it has to be cooled to suit an operating range of over 100F OAT.

That's all I did, remove that piece of cowling about 10x4 on the bottom of the ramp forward of the fire wall. And it was done before first flight because taxi tests revealed higher than desired CHT's. I was seeing close to 400 just taxiing around the air park at low power. I did not want to take off with CHT bumping 400 on the ground.

Dan's moveable opening is excellent as are his presentations and knowledge here.

Last edited:
Pictures please! Very interested.

hwc1kx.jpg

I was cruising at altitude playing with air speeds and my eyeball air vents were both wide open. I noted my IAS then closed them both. I gained 1-1.5 mph IAS. I repeated the process several times just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I guess cowl cooling works the same. More airflow = more drag.

That's correct Mike. To polish a bit, more airflow and/or more velocity loss = more drag.

The cabin air example may be a bit worse than cooling drag because of the way the air exits the fuselage, for the most part in the form of jets from all kinds of openings, often perpendicular to the freestream. The books put it in a category called excrescence drag, along with hard things that stick up into the flow.

Cooling drag is very real, because air has mass. Take a look at this Lycoming cooling chart for the 390:

The data is empirical, i.e. based on measurements of a typical engine with typical GA baffling. The right side of the chart has two plots for 150 HP, 425 and 400 CHT. From them we can approximate required mass flow for 350 CHT, assuming inlet air at 50F. It is 2.3 lbs of air, every second. It requires energy to change the velocity of a 2.3 lb mass. How much energy depends on the magnitude of the velocity change.

Remember, the data is empirical...an average installation. If we can get the same cooling result using only 1.8 lbs of air mass, we reduced drag. We do that by making a given mass of air carry more heat, i.e. raising its temperature more as it passes through the fins. We also make sure there are no freeloading air molecules entirely bypassing the hot fins. They contribute to cooling drag while doing nothing useful.

Last edited:
Back