What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Times Question

BlackhawkSP

Well Known Member
RV-8 builders: A friend of mine has an insurance check from a flip over last year in his RV-8. He has an A&P mechanic experienced builder repairing his plane, but he's a little worried at the amount of money he's sending verses the progress he has seen. My question is for those that have done it, how many hours approximately should it take to assemble a VS, rudder, HS, and elevators. He's just looking at a sanity check on the progress. All the replacement parts are brand new from Van's. Any replies would be appreciated.

I'm no A&P, but if I had all the materials and tools and nothing else to do and worked full days at it; 2 weeks? Probably less?

Depends..

..on what you're asking:
1) Calendar Hours/Days to complete the emp kit:
As all the builder logs of the world clearly show it could take anywhere from a couple weeks to "forever!" It depends on how much of his calendar day time is devoted to the project.
2) Build Hours to complete the emp kit:
Since you're buddy is paying for work by the hour, the information you want is Build Hours. This can vary too, depending on experience level, tools used to build with, and whether your buddy wants everything etched, primed, etc.. In my opinion, if there is no priming besides what Vans calls for, and the guy builds by the book, it should take about 150 to 200 build hours to complete the whole emp kit (VS, HS, Rudder, Elevators and FG Tips).

Unlike the RV 10, the RV 8 emp kit doesn't include a large tailcone..

Last edited:
Tail group

When I started my build I kept detailed records for time worked. I spent just over 200 man hours on the tail. Nobody has ever accused me of being fast. :cool:

From this experience I learned that I did not want to know how many hours of my life I would devote to this project and immediately quit logging time. I am much happier now :D

When I started my build I kept detailed records for time worked. I spent just over 200 man hours on the tail. Nobody has ever accused me of being fast. :cool:

From this experience I learned that I did not want to know how many hours of my life I would devote to this project and immediately quit logging time. I am much happier now :D

Bob,

I never said I was a fast builder either. I still log my hours, even though it pains me to know that, at my current total on my 10 project (about 1500), some guys are already hanging their engines, when I haven't even started on my fuse kit!:mad: However, experience and ability to work regularly (like every day) goes a long way. A friend of mine is building his 2nd RV 7A now, and he's kicking my butt (time-wise) because of it!

Hard question.

This can get about as subjective as the questions come. I have come to think if it should take me 2 hours to do this, it will end up being 6. If you check in on the work and find it is being done about a quick and more important done very well, in as good a amount of time that one person can. You have to ask, if it suites you. Every ones budget and quality exspectations are not going to be the same, just as every builders talents are going to differ. I don't think this will help, but it might. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

I consider myself to be exprienced, probably equal to the gent doing the work.
It takes me 45 to 50 hours to build the parts you mention. I'll have the trim tab completed as well. Primer included. That's not 'hurrying', just steady as she goes with no 'helpers'.
If I was quoting this as an insurance job (and I have) I'd quote 50 hours.

You can buy me a hot dog at Oshkosh for this real world experienced reply :).

He has an A&P mechanic experienced builder repairing his plane, but he's a little worried at the amount of money he's sending verses the progress he has seen. My question is for those that have done it, how many hours approximately should it take to assemble a VS, rudder, HS, and elevators.

Back