What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door positioning

digidocs

Well Known Member
The doors are trimmed and the time has come to start mating them to the cabin top. I've been reading a variety of posts and build sites about how to align the doors in the opening and it doesn't appear that there is a clear consensus. Two main camps have emerged:

- Used the fore/aft index holes and no major problems are noted
- The index holes are way off and usually the door is too low in the frame

The lower four holes on my doors all line up and when clecoed into the frames they don't look too bad. One door is about .1-.15" lower than the other. How can I tell if they're in a good position or not?

Thanks!
David

Here's a photo of the lower of the two doors.

photo2_zps23c2c9fd.jpg

While you are at it, be sure the hinges are correct. The hinges have a canted axis to the mounting surface, compensates for the curvature of the cabin top.

When correctly installed, the hinge pin holes will be inline------easy to see with them sitting on the cabin top before you install the doors.

BTW, congrats on getting this far:D

Mike,

That's subtle---thanks for pointing it out! I could easily see myself getting that backwards.

David

David.
In our experience.... Do not use the index dimples as reference. The doors will finish too low in relation to lower cabin top.

I've built all of my doors per plans and they fit like a glove every time :rolleyes:.
Easy-Peasy if you simply follow the plans :D.

David.
In our experience.... Do not use the index dimples as reference. The doors will finish too low in relation to lower cabin top.

Back