What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad mini retina: Black or White ?

vinodwahi

Folks,

We are about to buy an iPad mini retina with cellular for our rv9a.

Does anyone advice buying a white silver one instead of a black one? The black one would suit the panel better but I am a bit worried about heating up...

Also, does anyone have experience with skydaemon software?

Is there anything else I should be aware or taking into consideration?
I have already built in an apple charger.

Get one with cell service (GPS)

Get one with cell service even if you are not going to use the cell service, they are the ones that have an internal GPS, the others do not.

Mine is black and in a ram style snap in holder. It does get warm, but I doubt the color has anything to do with it as the dark side is covered and the holder is black as well. I suspect a white one, depending on the position/location may reflect on the canopy/windscreen.

Don

When I purchased iPads for several family members, my daughter wanted a white one. That was until she noticed she could see her reflection in the white border. I think most people would find that annoying.

I don't think heat is a big issue unless you leave it on the glare shield. At least not in a RV-10.

bob

I've had a black and a white. The white, at least to me, is a lot less inclined to soak up heat.

That said, what seems to really make more of a difference (in either one) is to use screen protection. For some reason, the stick on sheets seem to really reflect the sunlight and as a result they don't heat up as much.

Dan

Mine is WHITE. IMHO, black absorbs more heat.

I purchased a T-Mobile device from the Apple Store. T-Mobile give you 200 Meg FREE data each month. If you want cell data service later from another outfit, it is as simple as getting their SIM card.

I've had both. From a reflection standpoint both the black and white reflect the image in front of them but there are screen protectors that cut down the glare. This is obviously a personal preference but I think if you just want it for the cockpit then black would look nice if it's mounted but if you use it every day then I did read somewhere that the white is actually easier on the eyes.

If you plan on using it at night get a black one. The white one really reflects light at night (unless you have some sort of cover over it).

I do a lot of work in the mobile space, particularly security, and can help you answer that question.

White iPads are for girls.

:D

I'd be careful about leaving it in the plane on the ramp when its sunny. it will overheat and shut down pretty quickly.

Mini Ipad

I have a white Mini Ipad in my 6A mounted on the pilot side with a RAM mount.
There have been no problems with heat or with the internal GPS. I fly down in the South of France and have been to Italy and Portugal with the IPad and never had a problem.
I also use Skydemon which is first class as you have all the charts for Europe which are regularly updated. I have found with a fully charged mini Ipad it will run Skydemon for over 4 hours without needing recharging. I do however have the possibility of plugging it into a USB charger in my RV,

Hope this helps

Barry RV6A F-PRVM

I have a black Ipad mini and have no problems with it in my Searey and not seen any issues with overheating. Also if you order it from Apple, you can have the back engraved, my wife had "Stolen from Charles Cantrill" and my cell number underneath it. She also had my big Ipad done the same way. Just in case some one wants it more them me. Especially when you have it in your plane at a fly-in and there is a lot of people walking around the plane. No matter how much you try and hide it some one might want it and find it especially when they see the RAM mount in the plane.

I have a white Mini. When you get out to have your 100 Euro hamburger, make sure to take the iPad with you. It won't take long under the bubble to have it shut down because of heat. I've never had a problem with overheating in flight however.

Gary I was told by Apple that you cannot just change the sim card for a different carrier because the operating frequency is different. Be careful. I'm going thru the state attorney generals office about my T mobile iPad now.

Ron in oregon

Gary I was told by Apple that you cannot just change the sim card for a different carrier because the operating frequency is different. Be careful. I'm going thru the state attorney generals office about my T mobile iPad now.

Ron in oregon

The Apple Store told me that the hardware chip on the latest iPad Mini with Retina was all the same and only needed a SIM change. The earlier models were carrier specific.

Here is an independent link supporting that:
http://gigaom.com/2013/10/22/one-ip...pple-crams-14-lte-bands-into-its-new-tablets/

Last edited:
Well, I won't disagree that I see a LOT of ladies with white ones :rolleyes:. That said I purchased a white one last week. After two days I took it back and exchanged it for a black one. The main reason I took it back is because of the 'dirty' look. I take plenty of showers but I could see that dirt and grime around the white home button would become very unsightly after a short time.

I do a lot of work in the mobile space, particularly security, and can help you answer that question.

White iPads are for girls.

:D

I'd be careful about leaving it in the plane on the ramp when its sunny. it will overheat and shut down pretty quickly.

Rick Oh my Goodness! Those are beautiful awards! Its nice to see GREAT CRAFTSMAN! I noticed that you are lacking in one model,,,,the RV9A. So heres an offer, My 9A is almost wired but will need my forward top fuselage panel installed and my windshield. I will need blending of the two surfaces if you are so inclined to take a hand at it! It would be a pleasure to take instruction from you. I live in Oregon about 28 miles from Vans. So maybe you can conduct a seminar at Vans homecoming in August. Its held at out EAA chapter 292 in Independence Oregon. Its the most beautiful time of the year and would be glad to give you a tour! If you decide to come in the next couple of weeks I have four antennas to install so you guidence would be much appreciated as always. If you stay over a weekend our church is close by!

Ron in Oregon RV9A N421HJ

Back