What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manifold Pressure sender failure

decrocker

I'm on my second manifold pressure sender in less then 70 hr. The last one failed in less then 4 hours. They are both made by Mitchell Instruments part #ISS CAMPESND. When they failed the gauge needle pegs full scale. The line from the engine is from Van's with a restricted firewall fitting. Only thing different from Vans instruction is the line comes from #4 cylinder.

The first one on my RV4 lasted about 50 hours. It was installed by the builder. I replaced it and the second one lasted about 8 hours. On the third try I found the instructions say to install it higher than the fitting on the engine. So I moved the location much higher. Number 3 only has about 7 hours on it now so we will see if that was the problem. If this one fails I'm giving up and trying something else. Good luck with yours. CG

Wow, just found this and it is timely. I think my sender failed yesterday while
flying. Gauge is pegged. How do you test the sender vs the gauge to know if
it is bad or not and can I get this at ACS or ???

Thanks

UPDATE: I found the sensor on ACS for $59.75ea. Guess I will order today and
hopefully get it Wednesday. Need to get this fixed so I can fly in to Triple Tree
next weekend.

UPDATE 2: After further testing the gauge has gone bad. Called the Mothership
and ordered a new gauge package to be safe. Should be here by end of day tomorrow.
Will be back int he air in time to fly to Triple Tree Fly-in on Friday. Got to love Van's.

Last edited:
Got the gauge and sender replaced. Now gauge is reading ambient at rest and
-3" at 1000rpm. Definitely have a leak somewhere. Going to check the little
plastic tube when I go back up to the hangar. Frustrating.:mad::(

I won?t have anything made by Mitchell on any plane of mine. Their customer service is the worst I?ve ever encountered in my 71yr life on anything.

This is a temporary fix. All new panel will be installed this winter. GRT Sport, EIS and Mini, these **** gauges will be gone.

Back