What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Just got back from Lycoming

N804RV

Well Known Member
Just got back from the Lycoming Engine Service School at Penn College of Technology at Williamsport, PA. This is the new 5 day (40-hour) format, combining both classroom and hands-on training that replaced the previous program, held over 2 weeks.

The bottom line is, in my opinion the class is a success! At first blush, the $1,590 tuition seemed a bit expensive. But it is actually quite comparable to some of the week-long seminars I’ve been forced to endure in the name of professional “continuing education”. And, its much more enjoyable!

A word of caution: if you are not comfortable with a torque wrench, a pair of safety-wire pliers, and the basic theory of the 4-stroke combustion cycle, I’d recommend you get some remedial training before plunking down your hard-earned cash. It is a fast paced class. And, almost everyone in my class were already either A&P mechanics, or experienced homebuilders.

The number one take-away from this course, is learning how to navigate the complexities of Lycoming’s technical publications program. The course handouts included a workbook with the entire slide presentation laid out 3 or 4 to a page with a little room to take notes, paper copies of several key Lycoming documents, and a CD ROM with a complete set of all the Service Letters, Bulletins and instructions that are current as of April, 2019. That alone is worth the price of admission!

The instructor, Mike Damiani, is an old Lycoming hand. Those of you that have been around Lycoming engines awhile will remember him as one of the Lycoming tech-reps from years past. Mike’s instructional style, both on the podium and in the shop, is informal and easy going. And, even though we didn’t laugh at every one of his jokes, he did manage to keep us on task, and pretty cheerful.

The course was laid out in logical fashion. Each day we spent about 4 hours in the classroom and 4 hours in the shop, with a couple of short breaks and a one hour lunch.

The first morning, we covered a little history, an overview of Lycoming’s technical publications program, an introduction to Lycoming engine model designations and serial number prefixes and suffixes, counter-weight applications, and engine mounts.

After lunch, we divided up into groups of 3, and tore down an engine. We (with constant coaching from Mike and some of the more experienced students) had the engine down to the bare crankshaft by 5pm!

i1euqPKsSR2nXcdCkLUxAw by Ken Wilkerson, on Flickr

UafFzVIqQIGOfYEIX8z6rg by Ken Wilkerson, on Flickr

We continued on for the next 4 days with classroom lecture and discussion of each of the engine components, and then in the afternoon, seeing demonstrations of how they go back together, and then assembling them ourselves. A bit of time was spent discussing each special tool as it was needed, how to get by without it when possible, how to make your own, and when you should just rent it from Lycoming.

ZIZAiztrShiITyW77WzBEw by Ken Wilkerson, on Flickr

By Friday afternoon, we’d mostly reassembled our engines. Mistakes were corrected here and there and some of us had to bear the humiliation (all in good fun) of having Mike come over and point out how our engine would be an opportune teaching point for the next class. (Yes, I completely forgot to put the tach drive “t-handle” in before closing up the accessory case!)

ZGFz9zgxQc2OZ7Pvt8rzWg by Ken Wilkerson, on Flickr

All in all though, I really enjoyed the class. And, I highly recommend it to anyone who plans on sticking a Lycoming engine on the front (or back) of their homebuilt.

Last edited:
Thanks for report Ken. The course has been on my bucket list for years. Several years ago Gary Sobek and Paul Dye were at the engine school in February and they organized a little flyin. Good times at Williamsport.

Thats great news - thanks for the write up. I drove up to Lycoming a few weeks ago to witness my Thunderbolt engine being built. While I was there getting the tour, we talked about the school and their offering. I was in the same boat... little hard to swallow the cost at first, but I?m sure its well worth it. Once I have my 10 flying, I think I?ll probably sign up.

I was hoping there would be a trip report on this...Thanks for the summary. After reading the course description, I was a little concerned it would have been heavy on paperwork/history so I'm happy to see a good amount of shop activity.
Count me in that group that was surprised at the cost for the course however you are spot on with the comparison to week long short courses I've attended for work. Just a little different when its from your own hide.

So many good things here! I think this would be a valuable training opportunity. Supposedly my new engine shipped from Lycoming this week, so I'll be getting some hands-on experience soon.

Back