What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rod end setup on throttle cable

Vansconvert

Well Known Member
I have a rod end on my throttle cable going to the arm on the fuel injection unit. It has the large washer correctly installed directly under the bolt head, and a combination of three small washers, a short bushing and a much longer bushing. I understand the bushings go on each side of the rod end. However I don?t understand why the one bushing is so much longer than the other, like about 1/2 of an inch which results in quite an off set connection.

Could someone provide a picture of your setup? Or a picture of what Van?s sells in their bearing hardware kit? Or a description of your setup?

I have the Precision fuel injection unit. Thanks much.

The exact setup depends on how your throttle cable is routed though the firewall and via the bracket on the bottom of the oil pan. The end of the cable can end end up left or right of "optimum" at the throttle connection.

My Avistar servo has a straight throttle arm, so I didn't need any special spacer .. I did use two small washers on either side to prevent the rod end from touching either the big washer or throttle arm when it's rocked back and forth

The older Van's assembly drawings show the servo with an offset arm; the 1/2 inch spacer is there to move the attach point inwards to where the rod end naturally wants to be. I'd use the plans as a suggestion about sizing of the spacer; I could see it varying a quarter inch either way. YMMV.

Here's my setup:

i-zbQfQwc-L.jpg

Here is the Van's drawing:

i-q65JN9b-L.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent answer from Bill.
It is also helpful to understand what the washers do as you ?customize? to meet your unique requirements, if needed.
The small washers next to the rod end have a small external diameter which allows the ?ball? a wider range of rotation without interference as a normal diameter washer would. The larger diameter washer is there to keep the rod end from sliding off or over the head of the bolt should the rod end center come apart.

Sometimes it works well to move the arms from the mixture side to the throttle side and throttle to mixture. That way you can end up with a straight arm on the throttle like the picture posted above. The offset arm has worked on the mixture side for the several I've seen? If that won't work different arms are available from the injector manufacture.

Back