Well, Louise and I took almost a week off the project due to work commitments (for her) and avionics upgrades (for me), but here is the fuselage skeleton pretty close to finished in the jig:
I've put some AD3 keeper rivets in the intersections between bulkheads and stringers to make the surface smooth for skinning. Today I spent a little time working on the vertical bars that attached to the Horizontal Stabilizer spar back in the tail end - getting that built up. Louise has been making a new rear spar carry through (out of sider stock - gives a little more edge distance margin when setting wing incidence) using the original one that I had drilled as a template, as well as taking on the entire seat rib area - once we got the F-303-F-305 distance set perfectly, I turned the details of that sculpture back over to her! She's also been building sub-assemblies like the elevator bellcrank and other stuff that keeps parts flowing into line.
Next time I'm in the shop, I'll finish up the tail attached bars and start fiddling with the lower aft skin assembly - that has to be cut out to fit around the tailwheel mount. then it will be on to that big bottom skin. So far, the jig hasn't moved a millimeter, and we'd just as soon keep working so that nothing has a chance to move before the canoe becomes rigid!
Paul & Louise
Paul F. Dye
Editor in Chief - KITPLANES Magazine
RV-8 - N188PD
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)