What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting the jchannels 14-03 and 04

propsync

Well Known Member
Hi Group, just a quick question.

The directions basically say to rivet the top skins to the ribs and then deal with the jchannel.

Although the directions don't state because I guess its obvious, the only way to get the jchannels into the wing at this point would be to slide them in from the root and the tip. This seems problematic to me although I haven't riveted the skins yet. It seems like a hole lot off scrapin and scratchin will be going on sliding in these jchannels, especially since the jchannel and skins are dimpled at this point.

I'm trying to figure out why not just clecko them in before the riveting gets started. But, maybe there is a reason that I just can't see right now.

I was wondering what those who are past this point have to say about it, thanks.

NOT from experience

DISCLAIMER, this is just what I was thinking about doing, have not tried (****, I am trying to get all my ribs primed this weekend!)

I was thinking about just laying the J channel in there loose, then put the skins on with it in the little channel space. Rivet skins on, then attach the J channel.

Would this work?

Honestly there is plenty of room to slide them in, I had no trouble at all. A second person to guide the tip helps, but isn't required. You can do like LAMPSguy is suggesting if you're that worried about it, just make sure that the j channel is not between the rib and skin before riveting the skins.

I don't think clecoing them to the skin first would work because of the way they fit into the rib cutout. At the very least you'd do more scraping that way than sliding them in.

Honestly there is plenty of room to slide them in, I had no trouble at all. A second person to guide the tip helps, but isn't required. You can do like LAMPSguy is suggesting if you're that worried about it, just make sure that the j channel is not between the rib and skin before riveting the skins.

I don't think clecoing them to the skin first would work because of the way they fit into the rib cutout. At the very least you'd do more scraping that way than sliding them in.

Thanks Rick, knowing that they will slide in without too much fuss is enough for me to just stay the course and follow the plans.

Tom

Hi Tom,

If I remember correctly it's because if the J channel goes in before the skin is riveted to the ribs it will block the ease of bucking the rivets to one side of it along its length.

Best,

Rich.

Rich got it right, for access to the skin rivets and the others are correct also. They slide in effortless afterwards. Follow the plan here is best.

Thanks Ron. Thanks everyone.

I decided to buy the 12 inch back rivet set to attach these skins to the ribs.

I think back riveting will make this go very quick and my partner will not have to master riveting, simply hold the bucking bar on the skin. My short back rivet set just isnt long enough to get close enough the rib to get a straight business end of the rivet. So im skipping ahead to the leading edge this week.

Back