What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing the rib flange

propsync

Well Known Member
Hi group,

I'm on 12-03 step 3. This step has you remove the rear rib flange from rib W1012-R.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on removing this. The directions state that the curved radius must remain, probably for preventing any cracks I'm guessing.

I don't have a dremmel, only a 4" cutting wheel. I suppose I could bend the flange a bit and cut it out with snips. Was curious how you guys proceeded here.

Thanks!

I think I used a die grinder and cutting wheel with a good bit of scotch bright wheel to clean it up.

Thanks KC. I was just able to get in there with snips, once I got it started I was able to make the room.

Coming along!

15me9es.jpg

do you have a rotozip? I put in a metal cutting wheel and am using it. This is a tool that is something that is great to have around if you do any drywall work. You can use it to easily cut holes in drywall for outlets, canned lights, etc. I tried a dremel with a metal cutting wheel, but it really does not have the power to cut sheet aluminum (at least the battery powered one)

I have mine mounted in a vice when I use it to cut. You can see a picture of it in a recent thread called "shop design"

do you have a rotozip? I put in a metal cutting wheel and am using it. This is a tool that is something that is great to have around if you do any drywall work. You can use it to easily cut holes in drywall for outlets, canned lights, etc. I tried a dremel with a metal cutting wheel, but it really does not have the power to cut sheet aluminum (at least the battery powered one)

I have mine mounted in a vice when I use it to cut. You can see a picture of it in a recent thread called "shop design"

A mounted cutter would be the way to go for sure.

Simple. Stop Drill the corner where the 2 splices meet and use a bandsaw to cut the material until you reach the stop drill. Easy Peasy :D

Back