What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Fuselage Antenna

MED

Well Known Member
I am about to install the baggage floor in my 14A kit, but have not drilled the 9/16" hole for whatever antenna is to be installed at the rear of the fuselage (step 6 on page 26-11). Does anyone know what is supposed to go there? I tried to get the info from builder's support, but everyone is apparently at Sun n Fun.:rolleyes: Thanks in advance.

UAT

I'm only building the aft fuselage but nearly finished. I think you are referring to the UAT antenna cable, which goes to an antenna mounted on the bottom of the fuselage near the very back. That antenna is for ADS-B. In my RV-14, the only other antenna towards the rear is for the ELT, but it is routed differently.

...but have not drilled the 9/16" hole for whatever antenna is to be installed at the rear of the fuselage (step 6 on page 26-11). Does anyone know what is supposed to go there?

That is the location for your transponder antenna. You can easily reach it with an 8' cable from the panel, which is the normal maximum length for a transponder cable. The hole at the very rear of the tail cone is for an ADSB-in antenna.

Thanks, Bob. I was guessing it was for the transponder. I guess I need to go ahead and drill for it before installing the floor.
Thanks, also, Don, but I was talking about the hole below the baggage floor. Don't worry, you'll get to it soon. 👍

Last edited:
Back