What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SuperFil on bare aluminum?

rightrudder

Well Known Member
I've nearly completed the empennage on my 9A, and I've purchased some SuperFil epoxy filler to address some dings in the skin. If I apply it now, will it be affected by the etching process before primer? Or do I etch, prime, and then apply the SuperFil? I plan on scuffing the repair areas thoroughly with sandpaper.

Anyone? I know it's a pretty basic question, but I just don't want to do it if an etching process affects the filler during paint prep. My thought was to sand the dings, apply SuperFil, sand down smooth, and then use maroon Scotchbrite pads to scuff the entire surface to be painted/primed.

Hey, Doug, you might be the only one to ever get a ding in the aluminum, so maybe nobody knows the answer to this:D.

Not based on any personal experience, but I would think your plan should work, provided the superfil sticks to the aluminum.

Cheers,
Greg

E 2300

"E2300 is no longer manufactured by polyfiber.""substitute alodine 1201" "Polyfiber makes no guarantee as to how suitable this replacement is"

"E2300 is no longer manufactured by polyfiber.""substitute alodine 1201" "Polyfiber makes no guarantee as to how suitable this replacement is"

Both products are (were) made to Mil C-81706 - there should be no problems with the substitution. :)

I used SW Wash Primer to prep the metal. It's holding up well.
I filled nothing over 1/16" of an inch, maybe 1/8" on my fiberglass parts. It is sparingly used on my airframe. I would rather see a dent than have filler start popping off under the paint down the line.

I used Superfill on a few dents on my airplane after scuffing with scotch brite. No issues after a thousand hours or so. The stuff works well as a light body filler.

I used Superfill on a few dents on my airplane after scuffing with scotch brite. No issues after a thousand hours or so. The stuff works well as a light body filler.
Good to know. I'm thinking that sandpaper or Scotchbrite, followed by a wipe-down with acetone, is the ultimate mechanical "etch." The worst dings (only one or two) are maybe a fraction deeper than 1/16", and others are much shallower and are in an area that shouldn't oilcan much (slightly forward of spar on the elevators). A few micro-dings from the back-rivet set on the trailing edges here and there too.

I'm not building a show plane by any means, but I'll feel a lot better touching up some of these areas.

Last edited:
Back