What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installation of aileron servo after wing is built?

Gizmos

How hard is it to install aileron servo in the wing of RV-9a after the wings are covered? Should I just install it under the copilot seat? I did this for my old RV-6a and it worked great

I tried installing under the seat of my 8A but the previous builder had put the trim mount right where the bracket needed to go. I believe the was also another conflict with that area. I opted to place it in the wing, no issues at all. I was able to fish the wires down the wing conduit and run through the fuselage to the panel. This is provided you have a conduit in your wing and enough space to get wires through the spar. It took some very time consuming solder and tape prep to get everything to pull correctly with minimum increase in diameter.

Which servo? Trim or Autopilot?

I installed the autopilot servo (Garmin) in the wing after the wing was covered and it was relatively simple. My trim servo in in the fuselage under the seat pans.

Garmin sa 28

It's the garmin sa28 autopilot servo, I made a mount where the manual trim for the ailerons was installed and use a Ray Allen servo. Just did not know how hard it was to install the sa28 in the wing. I will do a coupling under the copilot seat for a/p aileron thanks

The gas 28 servo can be installed in a completed wing, through the access hole, using the Garmin bracket, in about 30 minutes.

nstallation of aileron servo after wing is built?

I installed the Dynon (True Track) aileron servo twice, first the -32 but it slipped in cruise, and then the free swap out -42. I found the install straight forward but tight. The safety wire is the worst, but if you're naturally good looking, I found it most doable. ;) Dan from Reno

Dynon / True Track A/P servos

Are you saying that Dynon and TruTrak Auto Pilot servos are same? In other hand can I connect my TruTrak servos directly to Dynon D180 and leave TruTrak control heat out?

How hard is it to install aileron servo in the wing of RV-9a after the wings are covered? Should I just install it under the copilot seat? I did this for my old RV-6a and it worked great

In a -9/A, the servo fits best in the wing and is very easy to install after the wing is closed. Easiest if he wing is on a stand, but still easy if the wing is mounted on the plane.

Back