What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3,000 + hours nose gear bolt replaced

Vlad

Well Known Member
Short story long that's how the stock nose wheel gear bolt looks after 6 years of constant abuse. RV9A with over 3,000 of flying hours and 4,200+ landings some of them at places I wouldn't even think of going second time. No modifications to the gear whatsoever all stock.

3000%20hours%20nosegear%20bolt%20-%201.jpg

3000%20hours%20nosegear%20bolt%20-%201%202.jpg

3000%20hours%20nosegear%20bolt%20-%201%201.jpg

Replaced with the same AN5-20A bolt per plans added an extra thin washer and used red Locktite on threads. Surprisingly there was no play after cleaning out the hole in the engine mount and the gear leg. Snug fit. If anybody has an ability to analyze the old bolt I would gladly mail it. It would be interesting to know how fatigued the bolt is and how far it is from the failure. :)

Vlad - did you do the loctite mod to the gear leg itself to keep the leg tight and imobilized in the socket, or is your nose gear on your 9A totally stock per plans?

Bruce

Vlad - did you do the loctite mod to the gear leg itself to keep the leg tight and imobilized in the socket, or is your nose gear on your 9A totally stock per plans?

Bruce

Totally stock per plans Bruce. I locktited the bolt threads only.

gear%20leg%20hole%20-%201.jpg

Considering where you've been...and I've seen the photos...all I can say is WOW! Excellent airmanship, sir.

Electric fuel pump?

Vlad, have you had to change your electric fuel pump yet? I’ll be going in there to run some auto pilot wires soon and was thinking it might be a good idea to change it, while it’s opened up. I’m at 1100 hrs. and almost 11 yrs. old. I changed my nose gear bolt in Feb. 2017. When do you plan to overhaul the engine? What about engine hoses?

Vlad, have you had to change your electric fuel pump yet? I’ll be going in there to run some auto pilot wires soon and was thinking it might be a good idea to change it, while it’s opened up. I’m at 1100 hrs. and almost 11 yrs. old. I changed my nose gear bolt in Feb. 2017. When do you plan to overhaul the engine? What about engine hoses?

Bobby I will keep the aux fuel pump for another year. A fuel hose leading to carb need to be changed it shows a spot by the heat reflector. I'll keep the motor running I have an ambitious plan for it in 2018. When you changed the nose gear bolt was it showing any signs of wear in shear?

Thanks for posting that, Vlad. It's the one part I'm most paranoid about...I'm checking the bolt every 25 hours for tightness and any sign of movement.

Looks like a bit of Russian dirt there ... shouldn't hurt a thing!

Bolt actually looks pretty good; it would be interesting to see if a pull test showed any significant weakening.

Looks like the bolt id may have been what changed also see two what looks like scars running around the diameter of the bolt. Have seen bolts being the one which sacrificed rather that what it was going thru.

Very little wear

Vlad, best I remember it had very little wear. Slight wear marks. I'll have to see if I still have it laying around.
I found it! 1030 hrs.
O4SsKmwG6-MLWJWr_cSpHU8EKU6F6MjO_XrjOg4Wkrn40OVpAUHRk1kC-9b7hHFVhz81Vwd7ASaKHe_je6Si4KdJSzM5poC_y0d1zOPqhb88zdAAgFcKsj3K9hNqbqQhmpCFGaCr4c3bWzyOPJLla8hHTXEpVqcfLDYM8I1exNJpYftZSX0v5JXOe7MhwnJFGHHKo97dOuyLdbZ_mMxIOKT0PORYthXZGbEsq3fM0LrGSCrD1n5C6i_jXpdvHMnw7YdRXHKdvgVxvBsJYjwWpjC0XbR6CqLU7Ol-Qb1NWe8_4fzJ65l9KFGrpGAaJUMj7QedrLqoin9QStoM6nvmG7DMSjCvtRcQrSLpWXwLRHSc-P_bpi4SsJ3UZ_aityfadxC52TiDFfRv9o6XAufbF2zI3ja-Rfeqvi0wUvPoJ30tNYoXGe-jGhFvc8FKKRvIjfsfkhLYV8dPayLUE_JBDkzN6g9JYgY-SCvRVi4OyTtK0x0pek4NsDaHukq2jeuqA0Si_Z5g7sfXnecpIgV0RAsTMo95cJ54PzYdbMiuUw2IgxG9I2oAS7lAhrWcwA5PWzEDDgbamx3JQnL_bZSHj9lxj8w3HnMYIzoXPf8SJhw=w460-h613-no

Last edited:
Thank you very much for this info. Just to confirm- you have zero modifications to the nose gear leg or nose wheel? Sorry for the redundant question.

Scott

Hey pal, bring me that bolt. I know the man for the job.

Will be in your mailbox in couple weeks Dave. Would appreciate if you post their finds here.

Thank you very much for this info. Just to confirm- you have zero modifications to the nose gear leg or nose wheel? Sorry for the redundant question.

Scott

That's affirmative Scott. None. Enjoy your 9A what an excellent machine.

That's affirmative Scott. None. Enjoy your 9A what an excellent machine.

Thanks, Vlad. With only 50 hrs in mine, I wholeheartedly agree. Fantastic speed and economy compared to pretty much all of the aircraft I've owned before.

Reading about your exploits was a good part of my motivation to choose the 9A.

Reading about your exploits was a good part of my motivation to choose the 9A.

Thank you Scott. Btw my RV9A buddy and I will be passing by 50-60 nm north of you on a Turkey weekend. We can coordinate an express VAF meet-n-greet somewhere on Colorado/Utah side. :)

Thank you Scott. Btw my RV9A buddy and I will be passing by 50-60 nm north of you on a Turkey weekend. We can coordinate an express VAF meet-n-greet somewhere on Colorado/Utah side. :)

That sounds very interesting. Are you landing at Telluride, or where? I would definitely make an effort to meet you and your friend and see your globe-trotting 9A. :)

Back