What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyguardTWX Installation

Robert M

Well Known Member
AS of this writing there is a SkyguardTWX with AHRS system enroute to the house. The installation must be "permanent" in order for the following to be true: ?Meets Performance Requirements? of TSO-C154c and FAR 91.227 for 1/1/2020 mandate when installed in Experimental and LSA aircraft. This unit comes with a "permanent" mounting bracket.

I am planning to attach it to the center floor cover of the fuel line going from the fuel selector switch to the electric fuel pump. Platenuts will be used to secure the mount on each side of the existing fuel tubing.

My only dilemma about this installation is the routing of the GPS antenna cable. It has to come up from the floor and make it to a spot on the glare shield, clear view of the sky.

Has anyone come up with a unique way to route the GPS antenna cable so that the "puck" is on the glare shield without having it hanging down in front of the panel? Pictures speak a thousand words.

Thanks,

Robert

The GPS antenna for my Stratus ESG ADS-B transponder is located forward of the firewall under the cowl. Performs flawlessly.

ADS-B%20GPS%20antenna.jpg

Skyguard

I have a Skyguard TWX in my 601XL
Works great
The gps cable is very thin, pretty easy to
Route.
My only suggestion is don?t install a 1090 external
Receive antenna. It was unnecessary
As the rubber duck antenna works fine
To receive 1090 even inside my metal fuselage.
I installed an external antenna and was having
Some problems with my FAA report.
Don at Skyguard suggested using the
Rubber duck antenna and all my problems were
Gone. 1090 ads b transmitters are 200 Watts so
The internal antenna seems to work fine.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Dave
N601XP

SkyGuardTWX

My Skyguard works perfect, had an issue with my altitude reporting
Incorrectly,sent it back to Don at Skyguard and it was repaired no charge.
Excellent customer service at that time, about two years ago.
Did you ever install yours?
Dave

Back