What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing VFR restrictions in Canada

RandyAB

Well Known Member
It seems like a lot of builders up here face significant hurdles in having the VFR only restriction removed by TC. Furthermore, from these stories and interactions, I?ve gleaned that at least some of the problem lies with inconsistent interpretation and application of the CARS by the inspectors. I?m about to order my panel and I thought it may be helpful to me and others following to perhaps compile a list of common areas that tend to trip up builders when it comes to dealing with TC and it?s inspectors. I think sharing experiences would be helpful.

It seems like a lot of builders up here face significant hurdles in having the VFR only restriction removed by TC. Furthermore, from these stories and interactions, I?ve gleaned that at least some of the problem lies with inconsistent interpretation and application of the CARS by the inspectors. I?m about to order my panel and I thought it may be helpful to me and others following to perhaps compile a list of common areas that tend to trip up builders when it comes to dealing with TC and it?s inspectors. I think sharing experiences would be helpful.

I am very interested in following this thread. I figure I will be flying in 2 years and hoping some of the requirements change. Please post any info you have on current requirements.

Thanks,

I haven't removed my VFR restrictions yet. When I do I'm going to follow the process laid out by a frequent poster here, Lycosaurus. He put together a 3-ring binder that contained a line-by-line analysis of the IFR equipment requirements listed in the CARs. For each requirement he had a page which documented how that requirement was met by this aircraft, including photos of the equipment used to meet the requirement as well as an excellent photo of the aircraft from the outside and the complete instrument panel.

I can't think of a better way to lead Transport Canada by the hand through the process - show them your compliance in an irrefutable way, one step at a time that leaves no room for them to interpret or guess at how you will achieve compliance.

I haven't removed my VFR restrictions yet. When I do I'm going to follow the process laid out by a frequent poster here, Lycosaurus. He put together a 3-ring binder that contained a line-by-line analysis of the IFR equipment requirements listed in the CARs. For each requirement he had a page which documented how that requirement was met by this aircraft, including photos of the equipment used to meet the requirement as well as an excellent photo of the aircraft from the outside and the complete instrument panel.

I can't think of a better way to lead Transport Canada by the hand through the process - show them your compliance in an irrefutable way, one step at a time that leaves no room for them to interpret or guess at how you will achieve compliance.

What Canadian_JOY said :) Transport Canada inspector had nothing more to say to me after that.

Included block diagrams and possible failure modes/mitigation, because in Canada we need to be able to perform an instrument approach with a single failure of any item (yes, the GNS box is one item). So a single GNS type panel will not work unless you might have something like an an additional ILS approach system (or of course another GPS IFR box). That's the way we roll in the great white north :)

Last edited:
What Canadian_JOY said :) Transport Canada inspector had nothing more to say to me after that.

Included block diagrams and possible failure modes/mitigation, because in Canada we need to be able to perform an instrument approach with a single failure of any item (yes, the GNS box is one item). So a single GNS type panel will not work unless you might have something like an an additional ILS approach system (or of course another GPS IFR box). That's the way we roll in the great white north :)

Wonderful! Are you able to share the documentation that you have?

I have one friend who had major problems because his EFIS, an AFS model, wasn’t certified and therefore he needed a certified encoder for his uncertified transponder. Does your method account for uncertified components in the system?

Last edited:
VFR Restrictions Removed

I just went through the process and had my "VFR Only" restriction removed about 1 month ago. The process was far more intimidating than complex.

Transport Canada here in Winnipeg was quite helpful, and pointed me to the Staff Instruction document # 500-024 titled "Airworthiness Evaluation of the Installation of IFR Equipment to Allow the Removal of the ?VFR Only? Operating Condition from the Special Certificate of Airworthiness ? Amateur-Built".

That document very clearly provides the guidance required to have your "VFR Only" condition removed from your CofA....specifically, section "5.0 Application" is a detailed road map(or flight plan) to the required documentation for your application.

I followed that instruction to the letter, submitted my application by e-mail (copying the local TC representative), and was notified by e-mail within a day or two that my application was successful .

Here's a link to the staff instruction letter:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/managementservices-referencecentre-documents-1784.html

Good luck!

Wonderful! Are you able to share the documentation that you have?

I have one friend who had major problems because his EFIS, an AFS model, wasn’t certified and therefore he needed a certified encoder for his uncertified transponder. Does your method account for uncertified components in the system?

I will need to search for it, then scan it. Will try to get it to you.

Some inspectors may take on a more aggressive stance on the certification requirement. First time I hear of that one in Canada.

At the time I did this, about 8 years ago, another builder was having trouble because he did not have analog instruments as a backup to his "dual Dynon, independent dual AHRS, each with their own backup battery". Took them a couple of years to resolve with escalation to the minister.

My inspection happened during that time, but I did have some analog steam gauges as backups ... nevertheless I created the document to placate any other concerns.

The process should be more smoother since there have been more IFR installations approved since that time.

Last edited:
I just went through the process and had my "VFR Only" restriction removed about 1 month ago. The process was far more intimidating than complex.

Transport Canada here in Winnipeg was quite helpful, and pointed me to the Staff Instruction document # 500-024 titled "Airworthiness Evaluation of the Installation of IFR Equipment to Allow the Removal of the ?VFR Only? Operating Condition from the Special Certificate of Airworthiness ? Amateur-Built".

That document very clearly provides the guidance required to have your "VFR Only" condition removed from your CofA....specifically, section "5.0 Application" is a detailed road map(or flight plan) to the required documentation for your application.

I followed that instruction to the letter, submitted my application by e-mail (copying the local TC representative), and was notified by e-mail within a day or two that my application was successful .

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/managementservices-referencecentre-documents-1784.html

Good luck!

Dido for my RV-10 last year. Followed the referenced document to the letter and received my new certificate the next day.

Michel

Good luck!

Thanks for this. It is very helpful and I will use it.

Does the requirement of 605.14 - radio navigation equipment [minimum = two pieces of equipment] mean two ground based or can one be VOR/ILS and one GNSS?
Seems crazy that you could operate today with just two ground based and not have any GPS at all with all the VOR's being decommissioned.
Has this requirement changed of late?

Does the requirement of 605.14 - radio navigation equipment [minimum = two pieces of equipment] mean two ground based or can one be VOR/ILS and one GNSS?
Seems crazy that you could operate today with just two ground based and not have any GPS at all with all the VOR's being decommissioned.
Has this requirement changed of late?

605.18(J) refers. The requirement has not changed. GNSS is not required but highly advisable for the coming years, as you mentioned.
My -10 was approved with one VOR\ILS and one approved GPS.

Michel

The way the regs are worded, you almost have to do a failure analysis on every flight. Is there any point along the intended flight and possible diversion to the alternate where you will have a single point of failure? For example, out of range of VORs and the GPS fails leaving you without navigation. Many northern airlines are finding themselves in that very position and installing two GPSs.

Going from Toronto to Montreal, you'd probably be fine with one Nav radio and one GPS (provided it's not a combined unit). GPS fails, use VORs. Nav radio fails, use the GPS.

If I were planning an IFR capable airplane, I'd seriously consider dual GTN650s. That provides dual com, dual nav, dual gps, dual screens. Need dual EFIS screens displaying that information as well in case of an EFIS failure.

The way the regs are worded, you almost have to do a failure analysis on every flight. Is there any point along the intended flight and possible diversion to the alternate where you will have a single point of failure? For example, out of range of VORs and the GPS fails leaving you without navigation. Many northern airlines are finding themselves in that very position and installing two GPSs.

Going from Toronto to Montreal, you'd probably be fine with one Nav radio and one GPS (provided it's not a combined unit). GPS fails, use VORs. Nav radio fails, use the GPS.

If I were planning an IFR capable airplane, I'd seriously consider dual GTN650s. That provides dual com, dual nav, dual gps, dual screens. Need dual EFIS screens displaying that information as well in case of an EFIS failure.

A second GPS is a good idea. I really wanted a GTN-750, perhaps the 750 with the GNX 375. This would give me GPS redundancy and the 375 would give me the ADSB in/out transponder.

Back