What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing the wings from A model

rvator9a

Well Known Member
Im getting to the point where I am going to paint my 9a. I remember how much of a pain it was to install the wing bolts but I am not sure if it is worse to remove them. I have access to an automotive paint booth that would allow me to do a nice clean coat of paint but I would need the wings removed. I could make up a booth in the hangar Im in, but that will entail quite a bit of work to set up a not optimal spray booth. I am curious if anyone has removed the wings and how bad was the project? I am an automotive dealership tech so Im used to dealing with hard to access nuts and bolts, but Im concerned that there is something in the process that could be damaged.

I had to pull the wings off my 8 for shipping. It's about a 2 day event. It's not too terrible if you have some saw horses cut to the right height and someone to help. The hard part might be electrical wires depending on if they are hard wired or have connectors. I got my wing bolts out with a brass punch to carefully drive them out. Once you get a few out, replace them with hardware store bolts to allow you get the rest of the bolts out without the wing falling. It helps if you take the bolt off the gas tank and rear spar first.

It's a very uncomfortable thing to do. Between the bolts and fuel line fitting it's not much fun at all. There is probably a little more room in your plane than in my 8, but that probably doesnt much it much easier.

I would vote for leaving the wings on. I think it's easier to set up a paint booth in a hanger. Less to go wrong that way.

Last edited:
I've pulled the wings once, and built a paintbooth once. I would definitely build the paintbooth.

It could be done, but wow, what a job. I would rather build a booth around the wings than take them off. I remember gluing bolts to popsicle sticks to get them installed. The wiring and pitot plumbing would be an issue too.

It could be done but I dont see any time savings over a new paint booth. It would be really nice having a real paint booth but it will be difficult transporting parts to and from the paint booth. It would be easy to damage or scratch.

Good luck. Im interested in your decision!

Build the Paint Booth

I had to experience the agony of removing wings from a partially completed 9A to haul it to my hangar. Reinstalling them was equally difficult.

Some automotive paint booths may not be wide enough to accommodate the 10.5 ft tail span of the RV9. I needed a wide load permit to trailer my project home.

Build the Paintbooth

I had a number of painters tell me they would not paint the plane unless I removed the wings.

NOPE!! They were a B....H getting them mounted and I'll be Da.....d if I'll go through the hassle of taking them off.

Nicely enough, John Stahr agreed to paint the plane with the wings mounted. His one condition was I had to have a good quality creeper so he could easily get under the plane, and if necessary had the ability to elevate the plane so he could more effectively paint (less pain for him holding the gun).

Ended up not needing to elevate the plane and the results were fantastic. If the painter knows his / her stuff, it shouldn't be necessary to remove the wings and the quality of the paint booth does not need to be extreme - unless you have DEQ inspectors coming to your hangar.

BUILD THE BOOTH IN YOUR HANGAR - You'll be thankful for not having to remove those wings!

On removing the wings from a 9A or 7A

If you threw a coin in a jar for every cuss word uttered during the wing removal process, you will have a full bucket worth.

On removing the wings from a 9A or 7A

If you threw a coin in a jar for every cuss word uttered during the wing removal process, you will have a full bucket worth.

Having painted two planes in the garage and one using a creeper, I can tell you there will be just as full of a cuss jar from the experience, especially during the winter in Maine.

Don't forget that a home made booth will likely not keep all the dust down and will require cut and buff.

Larry

Back