What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing a Rocket and a 7 difference

Robb

Well Known Member
I was wondering if there is a substantial difference is take off and landing a Rocket than an RV7. I think I found a nice one after selling my 7 and was just wondering if a few take offs and landings will be sufficient before I blast off home. The insurance company is not requiring it since I have a few thousand landings in my 7 and my Husky. I realize the the wing loading is higher than my 7 and need to carry a little more speed on final. Any other pointers I should know about? Just being cautious. THANKS

Rockets fly and behave like RV's EXCEPT for the pillowy soft gear legs. Treat every landing like you are landing on quicksand and you will be fine. If it bounces on landing, GO AROUND! Beware hard braking during taxi. The wheels move back A LOT and that changes the weight on the tail.

I recently did much became thing. Sold a six and purchased a Rocket. There are several considerations. The first is what kind of Rocket? F1’s and Harmon’s have different gear types and locations. Within each type there are variations. I have a F1 however the gear have been shortened and are not soft like the standard F1 gear.
What I did was flew with the seller in the back seat. Did 4 or 5 back seat touch and goes. Moved to the front to fly it home. Picked a big wide runway near home for more practice. Did slow flight and stalls first to get a feel for nose attitude and handling. I planned a lot of practice landings before attempting to take it to my home field however the aircraft was a pussycat to land and actually much easier than my six. Did 3 or 4 landings and took her home without issues.
I checked my former partner in the six out in the Rocket and he also had no issues and loves the way it flies and lands. Used the same process as I did. The original builder (Jim Winings) did I am told spend a lot of time and effort on getting the gear geometry correct. It shows in how well it handles.
I do recommend a really good prebuy. Circumstances forced a abbreviated prebuy in my case. We followed that up with a extremely thorough annual that produced some surprises and ended up being a bit more expensive than planned. Ok, a lot more expensive!
G

Last edited:
Think of it as two different airplanes.

1. The Rocket solo has a similar feel to a RV6 at gross weight, in terms of sink rate and handling.

2. A rocket with a passenger and baggage will be much lighter on the stick at landing airspeeds and can be quite pitch sensitive.

Back