What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powder coat wheels?

fl-mike

Well Known Member
Any reason to not powdercoat the wheel halves (not the mating surfaces or bolt contact areas, I?ll treat those areas with Alodine)
I?m thinking gloss white for inspection and cleaning.

Powder coating has the potential to hide cracks beneath the thick coating. For this reason, powder coating is generally not recommended for such things as motor mounts, etc.

The wheels are generally hidden under the wheelpants. And the wheels come anodized, I think. So powder-coating them does nothing except hiding their condition, adding weight, and offering the likelihood of coming off in the future.

Dave

My wheels did not come anodized but I had them clear anodized just for the corrosion protection. Corrosion gets ugly quick down here in Florida.

Not anodized. I took anodizing off the table due to the steel bearing cup and the decrease in fatigue resistance.

All vans engine mounts are powdercoated.

I was also considering transparent or clear powdercoat.

Last edited:
I have powder coated a number of non-structural parts in my RV. But not the wheels. Different Powder coat vendors specify different temperatures to "cure" the powders. Do not use any that require temperatures above 420*F. Aluminum will start to change its properties in the 450-500*F range.

My non-RV has a powder-coated engine mount. Have to say that was a mistake. It discolored and softened under the heat. On my RV-3B project, I made a simple resolution: since so many of the steel parts came bare, I chose a non-powder-coat coating for them.

The few powder-coated parts got some rather careful consideration as to whether they had a chance of standing up.

I had the engine baffles powder-coated on that non-RV, too. Another mistake. It can't be cleaned, since the dirt gets embedded in the paint, and in a few places, the paint peels off.

Dave

Back