What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taildragger tow bar or tow rope?

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
Just saw the tip from Stein to use a waterski rope as a tow bar, which seems brilliant - one question is how often do those of you using a rope wish you could push the aircraft? I guess it's quite easy to push from the front, but harder to pull, and also probably depends a lot on each situation with the hangar style.

Not recommended . . .

I tried using a rope to pull my 7 into the hangar from first flight. Sliping on the ice and trying to guide the plane was difficult. The main wheels would catch and swing the tail. All the swinging (after 5-6 flights) damaged the latch pin and found myself without a steerable tail wheel. Being in Phase I it took three flights to figure out the wheel was not latching. In some ways it was easier to maneuver.:eek:

I got a Boogie bar and have been very happy with the straight pull in and push out with a 90 degree turn for startup. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
I carry a strap (tie down strap with a hook but without the cam) in the plane for when I'm away from home. Light and rolls up nice and compact.

I built a tow bar for the hangar, much easier and more precise...

I use basically the same setup as Ron. Never had the desire for a tow bar but I live in Texas so ice?snow is not an issue.

Pushing an airplane with a free-swiveling nose wheel backward without a towbar requires a certain amount of skill, finesse, and attention. Once you learn how to anticipate the nose wheel's reverse pivoting inclinations, it is relatively easy to do for short distances (e.g., push back into transient tiedown spot). For longer distances or where clearances are tight (e.g., push back into a tight hangar), then a towbar is the way to go. A rope is OK for pulling -- it's small/light and easily stored. This assumes that you have a ready spot on the nose wheel strut to attach it too (preferably NOT the prop).

Ooopps! Thought I was on the RV-12 site -- Never mind. Taildraggers rule!!

Last edited:
I always use a tow bar in and out of the hangar. I push it out (slight incline) and pull it in with the tow bar. I use the deluxe Cessna tow bar from Aircraft Spruce. I don?t, however, take the tow bar with me in the airplane (usually).

Keep a set of doubles water ski handles in the plane for pulling when out of town. Works great! Easy to steer the tail with the doubles.

Only drawback is the rope can get greasy from the tailwheel so I keep them in a plastic bag

Cessna Tow Bar

Purchased this Cessna standard tow bar from ebay, cost was $119.00 with free shipping to Alaska.
Tow-Bar.jpg

Made from aluminum, lightweight and fits easily in the cargo area. Have some spring clamps, used for shovels, that will be installed to hold it in place.

Added the hose-clamp to keep it "locked" to the tail wheel axle.

Works great! Push/Pull either way will work.On snow/ice and bare ground. On ice best to use ice-trekkers for your feet...

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

I made 2 tow ropes. One for the hangar and one for the bag in my plane. They are made out of para chord and a 8-10" piece of 1/2" or 3/4" PVC. Bigger loop on one end to thread the chord through and a smaller loop on the other end to pass the handle through to lasso the tail wheel pivot. Works great.

Back