What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for TNC connector pins?

Raymo

Well Known Member
I bunged a couple pins during install and hate to toss the rest of the $30+ kit just because the pin is missing. Digikey and Mouser both carry them but the minimum order is 750 (~$1500).

I don't think the BNC pins are compatible.

I bunged a couple pins during install and hate to toss the rest of the $30+ kit just because the pin is missing. Digikey and Mouser both carry them but the minimum order is 750 (~$1500).

I don't think the BNC pins are compatible.

I have run into stuff like this before. Typically is is cheaper to just buy a new $23 TNC connector from SteinAir.

SA-1001-CONN-STRAIGHT-TNC-L-DSC09549.jpg

There's no rule that says you have to use the rest of the connector that you got in the kit. Find one that fits your cable, and install it. Throw away the one you lost the parts for.

Ebay isn't the only option, but $20 (or $200) for a $2 connector aren't the only options, either.

Picture

Send me a picture of what you need (close up if possible). I may have what you need...

They are available from DigiKey at $2.24 each, minimum quantity is 1.

DigiKey part number is ACX1070-ND.

Jim Butcher

They are available from DigiKey at $2.24 each, minimum quantity is 1.

DigiKey part number is ACX1070-ND.

The above P/N is for RG58 cable. The DigiKey P/N for a similar connector that fits RG400 & RG142 (more common in GPS installations) is ARF1135-ND and list for $6.67 each. This is for a whole connector assembly, not just the center pin.

Thanks, All.

Looks like I'll be buying more kits but < $10 at Digikey is much better than the ACS price. Hopefully the quality is as good.

Thanks, All.

Looks like I'll be buying more kits but < $10 at Digikey is much better than the ACS price. Hopefully the quality is as good.

This appears to be the cheapest all-crimp RG400 TNC connector from DigiKey -

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-rf-division/122372/ACX1072-ND/1011749

Unlike some others, this has a snap-in action for the pin into the body - shown best in this video -

https://www.digikey.com/api/videos/videoplayer/smallplayer/1722313932001

I just used two for my GTX335 hook-up. :)

Thanks, Gil. The pin in that connector appears to be the same as the BNC, for which individual pins are available (and I have). And the price is way right.

Send me a picture of what you need (close up if possible). I may have what you need...

RV6_flyer's post has the pin in question, which is really meant for RG-142 but will work for RG-400.

Mouser used to sell them by 1 count but when I ordered, they were out and required a minimum 750. The quality of the connect is very good.

There's no rule that says you have to use the rest of the connector that you got in the kit. Find one that fits your cable, and install it. Throw away the one you lost the parts for.

Ebay isn't the only option, but $20 (or $200) for a $2 connector aren't the only options, either.

The whole point was to NOT throw away $25 worth of perfectly good parts when a $2 replacement pin is available, albeit in large quantity orders only, it seems.

Thanks, All.

Look at the specs, a Mil connector would be beryllium copper center with gold plating and a brass, silver plated body. The materials and corrosion protection are the big differences. I have a bunch of military BNC connectors that are 60 yrs old and the silver is still good. Nickel on brass not as durable. Just so you know. No recommendations made.

Last edited:
Look at the specs, a Mil connector would be beryllium copper center with gold plating and a brass, silver plated body. The materials and corrosion protection are the big differences. I have a bunch of military BNC connectors that are 60 yrs old and the silver is still good. Nickel on brass as durable. Just so you know. No recommendations made.

Maybe, but it also depends on the source. The $27 TNC connectors from Spruce are not AMP, but TE Connectivity (Tyco) part number 225555-6 and are listed as "Mil--Type Plug Connectors" and interestingly are not spec'd by the manufacturer for RG400.

http://www.te.com/commerce/Document...pdfEnglishENG_SS_408-2299-1_A.pdf225555-6

I can't seem to find the materials they are made from, but the rubber seals do seem to indiicated they are waterproof, which is not usually a requirement for us.

Back