What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine preservation

SeanB

Well Known Member
I have a factory new AeroSport IO-375 that is still on the pallet and pickled from the fine folks in Kamloops. Life is making my build go slower than expected, so it's been sitting on that pallet for about three years already. I'm at least another year from firing it up. I've been "reasonably" diligent charging the desiccant plugs, plus live in CO where it isn't overly humid much of the time.

I'm concerned about corrosion issues given the elapsed time in storage. Is there an easy way to introduce oil to certain parts of the engine for another "coating"? I have never turned the flywheel. Should I as part of that process?

Thanks for the advice!!!

I have a factory new AeroSport IO-375 that is still on the pallet and pickled from the fine folks in Kamloops. Life is making my build go slower than expected, so it's been sitting on that pallet for about three years already. I'm at least another year from firing it up. I've been "reasonably" diligent charging the desiccant plugs, plus live in CO where it isn't overly humid much of the time.
I'm concerned about corrosion issues given the elapsed time in storage. Is there an easy way to introduce oil to certain parts of the engine for another "coating"? I have never turned the flywheel. Should I as part of that process?
Thanks for the advice!!!

DO NOT TURN THAT FLYWHEEL!
Keep the desiccant plugs fresh and you'll be fine.

Okay

Thanks, Mel. I plan leave the flywheel alone. The biggest concern I have is one of the desiccant plugs seems to uncharge fairly quickly, with another not too far behind. Maybe an open exhaust valve? No concerns there?

Thanks, Mel. I plan leave the flywheel alone. The biggest concern I have is one of the desiccant plugs seems to uncharge fairly quickly, with another not too far behind. Maybe an open exhaust valve? No concerns there?

That's normal.

I think I have you beat by a couple years. Our beautiful Barret 360 has been in the living room for many years, waiting for me to finish the -8. Tanya is happy that it is making 2-3% / yr just sitting there :). I've thought about it quite a bit but never done anything spectacular but just let it sit. I figure that if the springs in the sofa haven't rusted through, the good ol lycoming should be ok.

There is always an exhaust valve or 2 open, so make sure the exhaust ports are sealed best you can.
Tim Andres

Plug your intakes, the exhaust, and the breather and it'll take longer for the desiccant plugs to reach capacity (saturation?).

There should be some plates with an o-ring sealing all the exhaust ports, so an exhaust is likely open, but irrelevant if the ports are capped/sealed.

When my engine was buttoned up it took a very long time for the plug desiccants to change color, so look around - all ports, intake, openings in the accessory case and oil tube are all perfectly sealed. Not just some plugs in the ports.

So how do you ensure that when fitting the spinner that it doesn't wobble without spinning the propellor?

So how do you ensure that when fitting the spinner that it doesn't wobble without spinning the propellor?

Yep - that is when you take a deep breath and open up the engine so you can turn the crank. I pull the top plugs and put oil in the cylinders first. Since you are also going to have the exhaust pipes connected to make sure the bottom cowl fits, and install the carb or FI body, you have more openings.

So - do all you need to do with the cowl, prop, spinner, exhaust and such then button up the engine again.

Good incentive to get to first engine start and done.

Carl

Back