What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mo gas availability for ferry flight across Canada?

lockeed

Well Known Member
Planning a ferry flight later this summer where I'll be taking my newly purchased plane back home to Quebec from the Calgary area.

Lacking experience in that department so I'm calling on fellow frequent-flyers to get some insight on mo gas availability across the country? (Rotax 912)

Planning to take the southern route through Medecine Hat, Brandon, Winnipeg, Dryden, get close to Thunder Bay before heading up north east towards Marathon and then Timmins or Rouyn...

Any info or tips is more than welcomed. Mo gas, airports with things to eat on site, hotels close by, tie downs or free hangar space Etc... I'm interested in anything that would make this return flight easier.

Thx!

Last edited:
I'm in Moose Jaw; right on the Trans Canada just west of Regina. 3000 foot paved runway. No food or mogas on site, airport is 10 minutes out of town, and no courtesy vehicle. Tiedowns on the ramp are cheap, though, and usually I can squeeze a third aircraft in my hangar overnight if it's RV size. MJ is actually a really nice little city to visit; geothermal spa, tunnel tours, very well preserved historic downtown. Worth a stop if it fits in your plans.

MOGAS IS AVAILABLE at CJL5 Lyncrest Manitoba

Come see us at Lyncrest...

We are at the SE corner of the Winnipeg Class C zone... easy to get here by staying under 2000 ASL and just outside the zone to the south. check the CFS... we have a new clubhouse to show off as well

Tiedowns are plentiful and if you check the Springfield Flying Club website you'll find a contact number.

Brandon does NOT have MOGAS, nor does Kenora.

There are always club members around for a ride to the city...send me a PM if you need more info.

I brought my T18 from QC via Thunderbay, Marathon, Pembroke...its a great route...

If going via Pembroke, make sure your charts are up to date and reflect the new, enlarged CYR restricted airspace around Petawawa, and the new airspace designations around Ottawa.

Airport Info

Salut Jean

Around Montr?al you could use Lachute ( CSE4) or Ste-Hyacinthe (CSU3 ) on the South shore.

Both have fuel( No Mogas) and Restaurant on site.Very friendly airports

Lachute Airport have Bicycles ( Not sure about Courtesy Car ) you can use to go Downtown or they will pay for your Cab Fare both ways .

Have a good flight

Bruno
[email protected]

As always, you can count on VAF and it's members! Thx to all who chimed in, I'm taking notes as we go.

Again, my main priority is Mo Gas availability for each stop. The aircraft is a CH701 with a Rotax 912 100hp and long range tanks (40gal). So The aircraft does have a good 6-7 hours flight time in it @100mph, but I'm not sure I want to fly long legs like that. I'd rather split the day in two. And maybe fly between 5-8pm if daylight and conditions permit on some days. The goal is to fuel up, and get back in the air, unless I stop for the night.

Come see us at Lyncrest...

We are at the SE corner of the Winnipeg Class C zone... easy to get here by staying under 2000 ASL and just outside the zone to the south. check the CFS... we have a new clubhouse to show off as well

Tiedowns are plentiful and if you check the Springfield Flying Club website you'll find a contact number.

Brandon does NOT have MOGAS, nor does Kenora.

There are always club members around for a ride to the city...send me a PM if you need more info.

I brought my T18 from QC via Thunderbay, Marathon, Pembroke...its a great route...

Do I understand that you have mo gas on site? Or saying that there's always people there to help out?

Edenvale do have a great setup and they are on my list of possible stops, I just need to find 5 or 6 other Edenvales along the way!

Edenvale

Best i got for on route.

Come by windsor cyqg and i will personally shuttle jugs of high octane mogas from costco to your bird... Not isnt on your route. :D

La Sarre (CSR8)

If you want to make a stop at La Sarre (CSR8) (Just a little north of Rouyn), I can bring you the Mogas to the airport . Also, the guys who have the Motel in town have a RV-8, so i'm sure he can give you a good rebate on a room for the night if required ! ;)

I'm hoping that in a couple years things have improved re Mogas in Canada.

We're planning a trip to Halifax, NS in August with return to Michigan via Quebec, Montreal and London.

We fly a Europa with Rotax 914 and make a lot of effort to only burn Mogas. In the US AirNav and FlyUnleaded are very helpful finding airports with Mogas. We often carry bladder bags and stop at airports near gas stations (usually found from Google Maps) and give the FBO a few $$ to use the crew car to purchase gas off the airport.

Unfortunately neither AirNav or FlyUnleaded cover Canada. FltPln.com has some airport information but I've not found much about Mogas. I've not found any website with a map showing Mogas airports.

Does anyone have any tips to help us plan?

Thanks

Jim Butcher

Jim if you are passing via Central Maine there is a great little field called Twitchell 3B5. You can taxi straight to a gas station. The hoses are too short to reach your tanks use your jar cans. :)

Gas%20Station%20-%201.jpg

Vlad, are you sure that if you put your nose between two pumps, you couldn't get the wings close enough to fill one from each pump? Or do they just frown upon that? :)

Unfortunately the only airport I know with Mogas right now is Courtenay, BC, which is in the wrong direction...

Vlad, are you sure that if you put your nose between two pumps, you couldn't get the wings close enough to fill one from each pump? Or do they just frown upon that? :)

They don't mind Rob. The closest set of pumps where I could fit is for diesel. :D

Oshawa

Jean,

If you come via CYOO, I can make myself available to help out getting you mogas, food etc.

Let me know.

Don

FYI - These are the airports in the CFS that list "Mogas" or "MG" as part of the "Fuel" services:

Code:
IDENT	AIRPORT NAME			CITY		PR
CRD2	COALDALE (REDNEK AIR)		COALDALE	AB
CFY4	INDUS/WINTERS AIRE PARK		INDUS		AB
CYXX	ABBOTSFORD			ABBOTSFORD	BC
CAH3	COURTENAY AIRPARK		COURTENAY	BC
CZAM	SALMON ARM			SALMON ARM	BC
CSK8	SURREY/KING GEORGE AIRPARK	SURREY		BC
CAU4	VANDERHOOF			VANDERHOOF	BC
CKV4	OBRE LAKE/NORTH OF SIXTY	OBRE LAKE	NT
CAT1	ATWOOD/COGHLIN			ATWOOD		ON
CVL3	CAMDEN EAST/VARTY LAKE		CAMDEN EAST	ON
CPF4	COBDEN/BRUCE McPHAIL MEM	COBDEN		ON
CNV8	EDENVALE			EDENVALE	ON
CPG7	FERGUS (JUERGENSEN FIELD)	FERGUS		ON
CSF7	OTTAWA/CASSELMAN (SHEA FIELD)	OTTAWA		ON
CYTA	PEMBROKE			PEMBROKE	ON
CGB3	PICTON (GREENBUSH)		PICTON		ON
CLV2	STAYNER (CLEARVIEW FIELD)	STAYNER		ON
CBB2	STOUFFVILLE			STOUFFVILLE	ON
CYEY	AMOS/MAGNY			AMOS		QC
CJD3	BIRCH HILLS			BIRCH HILLS	SK
CKH3	DEBDEN				DEBDEN		SK
CLC4	LOON CREEK AIRFIELD		PUNNICHY	SK
CYBU	NIPAWIN				NIPAWIN		SK

If you find more, please let me know, and while you're travelling across the country please check for fuel prices on www.100ll.ca, and send updates when you find them.

Steinbach in MB

Steinbach is south of Winnipeg. The north airport is only a block or two from the motel, food and gas strip. Harv Air is at the south airport with lots of helpful people and vehicles. Somebody at Harv Air will often volunteer their car for a quick run in and back out from town. You should have enough legs from there to Thunder Bay or if not you can land at Dryden for a jerry can top up.

Often you can get stuck by CB's between Kenora and Thunder Bay for several days in CB season. Early morning IFR fog and stratus build into lines of CB's and lots of non landable terrain in between.

A great journey overall however.

Edenvale

Edenvale (near Barrie ON) has Shell V-Power. It's a great little spot to stop, because they have a great little restaurant right by the fuel pumps... it's definitely a higher quality restaurant than you typically find at small airports. Although it's been at least a couple of years, so I can't be certain they're still there.

And I can second the comment about wx between Thunder Bay and Winnepeg. I did that route one year in Sept or Oct. Wx was reported as VFR in Thunder Bay and Winnipeg. No fog in Thunder Bay, but the dewpoint and temperature were so close that my canopy kept fogging up before takeoff (I would wipe it off, and it would immediately mist up again). Later, I encountered a narrow band of really nasty heavy rain about 50nm West of Thunder Bay. Elsewhere the weather was just weird, totally variable across very short distances. When I eventually got to Winnipeg, the winds were gusting 30kts - at least they were straight down the runway. When I stopped at the pumps I had to get someone to hold my rudder so I could take my foot off the pedals and not have the wind destroy it. So yes, my experience in that area was that the weather can be a real problem!

Last edited:
If going via Ottawa there are plenty of folks in the area who participate in this forum. CYRP Carp does not have mogas but does have EAA Chapter 245 and lots of homebuilders on and around the airport. I'm sure that by prior arrangement a few cans of Ultramar's finest could be made available. (That's all I burn!)

Edenvale (near Barrie ON) has Shell V-Power. It's a great little spot to stop, because they have a great little restaurant right by the fuel pumps... it's definitely a higher quality restaurant than you typically find at small airports. Although it's been at least a couple of years, so I can't be certain they're still there.

The restaurant at Edenvale has changed ownership, but the new incarnation is even better than the previous one in my opinion. It was quite busy with local non-aviation lunch folks when we were there about two weeks ago.

ZZL

Jan i am in lachute CSE4 if you are stopping here friday sat sunday i am in hangar can drive you to gas station , bbq on site

Send me pm
julian

Last edited:
Back