What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical system design z-12 & TAA

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
I wanted to present my proposed electrical system to get some feedback and ask a few questions. I do not have my own schematic, but the design is Z-12 which is a dual alternator - single battery system. Primary alternator is a 60AMP plane power (standard Vans). Both alternators power the main bus with one taking over if the voltage on the primary alternator drops to a specified level.

It also resembles the TAA architecture proposed in the Aircraft Wiring Guide because it has a battery backup system (IBBS) for the EFIS, AHRS, and engine monitor. This has the benefit of ensuring the EFIS and engine monitor stay on before and during engine start. In case of both alternator failure it provides a second battery to support essential equipment.

I've also included the always hot battery bus for my single electronic ignition (one standard magneto) and fuel boost pump. The avionics bus shown in TAA also serves as my essential bus. So my avionics/essential bus has two feeds (main bus and battery bus) and two switches.

The panel for this electrical system is a full G3X Touch suite along with a GTN650 in the future.

What I don't know is how this setup would be monitored. Do you just get two shunts and the EFIS would monitor both alternators at the same time?

Is there a way to also monitor the backup battery system (IBBS) to show amp output on the EFIS. In reading the G3X install it only provides two inputs to monitor amps.

Is there anything wrong with the leaving the essential bus switch ON during normal operations? The avionics switch will already be ON so the avionics/essential bus would have two power feeds at the same time.

In reviewing the BC410-H I was unable to understand why I should use one of their very expensive voltage regulators. Anyone know what benefits they really provide over an after market adjustable voltage regulator with over-voltage protection added?

There is a recent AeroElectric List Thread about monitoring current.
And this thread has Bob Nuckolls response.
The ammeter is optional. The voltmeter is more important.
There is nothing wrong with leaving the endurance bus on unless you forget to shut it off when you are done flying.
In reviewing the BC410-H I was unable to understand why I should use one of their very expensive voltage regulators. Anyone know what benefits they really provide over an after market adjustable voltage regulator with over-voltage protection added?
No

Back