What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR Glass Panel Questions

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
I am looking to buy a basic VFR glass system. Dynon or GRT is what I have been reading about mostly. Used is fine as I am looking to save a few bucks, but sometimes new is not that much more apparently.

I have a Garmin 696 that I can use for moving map. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to have ADSB as well as engine monitoring.

I have had a much more favorable opinion on GRT then other brands. I have flown behind GRT, Dynon and now Garmin G3X.

If looking for a basic VFR glass panel, without breaking the bank, GRT seems to have the right solution. I say this mostly because GRT is vendor-agnostic. Dynon and especially Garmin work hard to lock you into buying their full system. In other words GRT works hard to ensure their boxes work with equipment from other manufacturers while Dynon and Garmin work hard to ensure you can't use anybody else's equipment.

For me this is a huge difference.

With this having been said, there is some pretty terrific value in the GRT "Sport" units which have the AHARS built into the display unit. To have a full-up EFIS all you have to add is the optional (and comparatively inexpensive) digital magnetometer. That puts you at $3250 for a 10.1" Sport.

If at some point in the future you want to add functionality like ADSB, you can go with a GRT solution or somebody else's. Having the GRT EFIS control a Trig TT22 transponder is pretty much a no-brainer for ADSB-out, and you can choose any number of alternatives for the GPS position source, including GRT's SafeFly or Trig's TN72 position sensors.

Our aircraft came with a panel that included an original GRT WS-series EFIS. It's been upgraded to an HX with the Adaptive AHARS and built-in multi-constellation GNSS receiver. I then added a Mini-X to the mix. I'm now in the process of forklifting a dedicated engine monitoring system in favor of a Sport EX display that will occupy the same panel space and the remote-mounted EIS-66R acts as the engine monitor interface so I can display engine info on either the HX on the pilot's side or the Sport EX on the co-pilot side.

The beauty if GRT's approach is that adding functionality is something you can normally do in an incremental fashion, buying a little at a time, as money becomes available or as your needs evolve.

I am looking to buy a basic VFR glass system. Dynon or GRT is what I have been reading about mostly. Used is fine as I am looking to save a few bucks, but sometimes new is not that much more apparently.

I have a Garmin 696 that I can use for moving map. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to have ADSB as well as engine monitoring.

I have two GRT display systems here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dNP6REeYtU4dPkxq8. Internal GPS, AIRINC and XM weather module but you can also do ADSB In/Out. Magnometer is not shown in the picture but it is included. Everything worked perfect when removed. Both LCD displays were replaced prior to removing from aircraft. Make an offer if you are interested.

Back