What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV maintenance in northern Colorado?

wtpfeiffer

I'm New Here
I'm based at the Longmont, CO airport with a recently acquired RV-8. I have an A&P but really haven't exercised it much since I took my practical so I'd like a local RV expert to complete the annual inspection this year. Any recommendations?

Fellow A&P here with a suggestion....

Since you have your (newly minted) Certificate I think you should exercise your privilege and do the Condition Inspection yourself. You'll gain really good practical experience and build confidence and will know and feel much more comfortable with your airplane afterwards. Find another A&P and when you are done but before closing it up, ask him/her to come over to check your work / discuss what was done and offer suggestions. Pay them for their time and put your signature in the log book.

Here's another suggestion.....

Get with Thad LaReau who also has a newly acquired RV-8 (an absolutely beautiful one I might add) and is based at Longmont CO and the two of you can fly me out once a year for a working vacation and I'll annual both your airplanes :):D

Just another idea...;)

Fellow A&P here with a suggestion....

Since you have your (newly minted) Certificate I think you should exercise your privilege and do the Condition Inspection yourself. You'll gain really good practical experience and build confidence and will know and feel much more comfortable with your airplane afterwards. Find another A&P and when you are done but before closing it up, ask him/her to come over to check your work / discuss what was done and offer suggestions. Pay them for their time and put your signature in the log book.

I completely agree with you. Unfortunately what I didn't explain very well is that my A&P was minted 20 years ago. My Dad built the plane and in order to keep it in the family, I've taken ownership of it before I really have the ability to dedicate the proper amount of time to maintenance (two kids under 5). Until they're in school more often, I just want to keep the plane healthy and flying. After that I'm definitely looking forward to digging in to the maintenance side of things. Thank you for your recommendation.

Back