What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Approach Speed RV-9

I had an RV9 which is now an RV9A because even with 500+ hours of tail dragger time I never felt comfortable landing the -9. Too much wing and too light for the configuration I think in a 3 point touch down. Like you said, it just doesn't want to land and still seems a bit squirrelly with a slow touch down. Good luck, but 80 is too fast. Yes, find "your" stall speed, not Van's, and go from there with something you're comfortable with.

Five years later... great support from VAF RV9A

I am tasked with delivering an RV9A equipped with an IO-360 and CS prop to the new owner in Tucson. I decided to re-visit my notes from purchase of my 9A five years ago. It was astounding how quickly I could gather good advice from members here with just a short post. I was able to adapt to the "new" plane quickly and become safer.
Now, I get to instruct a long time Cessna owner in the same tasks. One of the major discipline items I have learned, is to take the time to read and absorb postings revealed with good search terms. None of it is "approved FAA" writing, but it comes from the real world and with good intent.
I hope I can convince the new RV owner to follow the same path.
If you see your name here, in this thread.... thank you again for the great tips you passed along. They actually worked!!!! Cheers

Yep, 55 to 60 knots works well all the way around the pattern, still.

Recently flew a friend's -9A with a CS prop and those numbers worked great in his plane as well as my FP -9.

Have a good safe flight!

Back