What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

carpet

rwwende

Searched the threads but could not find a lot on carpet for the 10. Flightline does not do carpet any more. Any suggestions on where to buy, dimensions etc. Would rather install a kit, versus cutting and edging myself. Thinking I want to carpet floors, and tunnel. Appreciate your thoughts. thanks Ross

carpet- get it local

I know you dont want to cut it yourself, but get the dimensions and have it done at a local carpet place. I did all of mine from scraps and it cost me.. $10 the shop was happy to get rid of the pieces too!
You have the option of choosing a color in person versus the internet and having it the way you want it. Also easy to go and get it modified if you do anything, in my case added some attachments to the baggage area, took it back, they cut it, had it back in the plane the same day.
Go local is my advice.
Pascal

I know you dont want to cut it yourself, but get the dimensions and have it done at a local carpet place. I did all of mine from scraps and it cost me.. $10 the shop was happy to get rid of the pieces too!
You have the option of choosing a color in person versus the internet and having it the way you want it. Also easy to go and get it modified if you do anything, in my case added some attachments to the baggage area, took it back, they cut it, had it back in the plane the same day.
Go local is my advice.
Pascal

As someone who works for a large carpet manufacturer, I suggest anyone purchasing airplane carpet at a retail store take this advice:

Purchase carpet that meets "Class 1" fire rating standards. Many products fit that description - they are commonly used in hotels, hospitals, schools, etc. Generally, the carpet will be a commercial grade product with a loop pile.

Boiled down to the basics, if you set one of those products on fire, the flame will self-extinguish after burning a very small area. Most of those products use Nylon 6 or Nylon 6.6. as the face fiber. Wool face fiber does exceedingly well in fire tests, but far fewer carpets are wool these days.

Be aware that a Class 1 fire rating does not mean that the product meets FAA standards.

Classic Aero Designs sells their carpet by the yard and it's been treated to meet FAR 25.853 standards. I just placed an order with them actually; It should be in next week.

To determine the amount of carpet I needed, I went through the plane with a measuring tape and took measurements of all areas that I wanted to carpet. Then I called and found out the available width of the carpet color I wanted (they had already sent me samples for free). I plotted my measurements to the width available and then called them back and placed the order. They've been really helpful and great to work with.

For our interior, I needed just under 5 3/4 yards (40" width). I'm planning on carpeting the following: front floors, rear floors (down the main spars and all of the way up to just under the cushions), the tunnel wall in both the front and rear, the rear exterior walls up to the start of the seat bottoms, the baggage floor, the rear baggage wall up to about 8" and the bottom half of the right baggage wall. I also bought a little extra to put in place of the rear seat cushions for when we want to remove the rear seats and use the area for baggage.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I spoke with Abby yesterday and she told me she is no longer doing carpet. Not cost effective she said.

safety considerations?

Classic Aero Designs sells their carpet by the yard and it's been treated to meet FAR 25.853 standards. I just placed an order with them actually; It should be in next week.
good comments here; also, you can test your own sample to see if it self-extinguishes. I found some commercial short pile stuff, then soaked it with Fire-stop liquid ( available from most of the av suppliers), which further retards flame spread.
Then on installation, I kept it 4-6" from the firewall ( note the word 'fire' ! :) and put a layer of insulation under it to provide a little more time before potential ignition. ( your feet never go right to the firewall anyway, why have carpet up there, eh?)

The AirTex carpet is approved and comes with a foam backing that provides sound deadening, insulation, cushioning, and a little bit of grab on aluminum. Easy to trim. I've probably installed it on 40-50 airplanes. You could fit it yourself and have an upholsterer do any edge binding. FLightline's carpet was only so-so anyway. I used it on the 10 because I had it. I'll for sure roll my own on the next one.

airtex it is. Checked locally and there is a supplier that sells FAR 23.xxx approved carpet but it does not have the foam backing. Price per sq yard from airtex is the same plus it has the foam backing. thanks for the help.

Airtex

I used AirTex and it does have the backing. I believe it works great for noise dampening too. There are a lot of areas especially around corners or bends where you have to shave the foam backing off. No big deal...just more labor on the install.

Use a small wire wheel (1-2 inch) in a drill or dremel to mill the foam back from edges before binding. Easier to sew, less lump.

I took over a botched restore job and found the interior the used was not flame resistant. I treated all the interior surfaces with flame stop and all of them were tested and approved by the DAR we had inspecting the project. If you choose to go to a local carpet store for carpet, flame stop should be a good alternative if they don't have something flame retardant already in stock.

Purchase carpet that meets "Class 1" fire rating standards. Many products fit that description - they are commonly used in hotels, hospitals, schools, etc. Generally, the carpet will be a commercial grade product with a loop pile.

Boiled down to the basics, if you set one of those products on fire, the flame will self-extinguish after burning a very small area. Most of those products use Nylon 6 or Nylon 6.6. as the face fiber. Wool face fiber does exceedingly well in fire tests, but far fewer carpets are wool these days.

Be aware that a Class 1 fire rating does not mean that the product meets FAA standards.

I would assume that any automotive carpet that meets current standards for cars would also meet the requirements you state above.

Is that correct?

I would assume that any automotive carpet that meets current standards for cars would also meet the requirements you state above.

Is that correct?

Wish I could help, but...

I don't have any knowledge regarding automotive carpet - my employer hasn't been in that market in about 20 years, and I was never involved in that segment.

I remembered reading that Abby (Flightline Interiors) no longer does carpet - that is not correct. I just got off the phone with her and she does indeed still do carpet. It's available as part of her entire interior kit or alone as just a carpet kit. As I recall it comes with "heel protectors" attached below the rudder pedals and floor mats to go on top of the carpet for the rear seats.

Bob

Aerosport Products will be offering a full carpet kit for the RV-10. We will start taking orders April 15th. You can call us and discuss at any time. We are finishing up burn testing and colors at this time. We will offer the carpet with a serged edge or a binding edge. See photos. These will cover entire
interior.
0_0_ab86793f63eb7c733a3d972bdf0ea20f_1

0_0_9be28d21d283792092c6d8246f6a3cf9_1

0_0_e1adaabc23991edcccc4996c05896c6a_1

0_0_f39f377ab24347e8b35cd6045f19e09b_1

Serge edge and bind edge (lower)
0_0_20f7b6d3664a31d170e4ae0933980a74_1

http://www.aerosportproducts.com/

...I keep thinking 'fire'....?

okay, call me paranoid. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll bet the reason the foam-backed carpet isn't fire rated...is...well, because it BURNS!
Yes, the foam is a great sound deadener I suppose, but think twice about slathering your interior in this toxic smoking stuff!
There are quite a few hi-temp acoustic mats available for hi performance sports cars etc. that will not fill your cabin with thick smoke in the first 30 seconds of a fire. ( Summit Racing etc.)
Where I added some of the common 'aviation' foam under the floor carpet, I sandwiched in double thick aluminum foil, taped all seams, and set on top of a fibreglass matt. All carpets & upholstery were soaked numerous times with Flame-Out solution.
My unscientific burn tests showed a much improved time before any smoke was evident. Lots of previous threads with Dan Hortons's awesome testing results.

Just hate to see anyone go fast, cheap, and easy, and regret it later!:(

In the past some of the flame retardant treatments have been found to be corrosive to the extent of causing airframe damage where the treated materials contact metal. Is there any information on the Flameout treatment that indicates that the residue is not corrosive? Just wondering.

For those thinking of using Flameout, beware the MSDS say to avoid contact of the product with metal as it is corrosive. Not sure if that applies after the product is dry or not, but I would avoid unless shown not corrosive.

Yeah, I'll get flamed for suggesting the cheap stuff. Came from Home Depot's aircraft carpeting aisle:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Unb...-Area-Rug-CP45N41PJ1VH/202800194?N=5yc1vZarjg

The good: Very thin, very easy to work with, glues down easily with spray adhesive, readily available, looks awesome, and only cost $18 for a 6x8' piece.

The bad: Yes, it will burn. Use at your discretion!

FWIW, I carry an aqueous foam fire extinguisher, also available at Home Depot... or from Flyboy Accessories.

Back