What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AvMap Discussion.

As Mike said there are still some software issues to be worked out for full autopilot functionality wit the Dynon and Trio units. I have a beta version installed which replaced my IV. Besides the autopilot communications issue, the docking station/EKP-V still will only talk to one serial device at a time. So if I want XMWX it disconnects the autopilot and if I want autopilot communication to Dynon it disconnects the weather. Both of these issues are known by the factory and are being worked on. I have not been given any date for a new software release but in theory I should be getting a beta version before it is actually released for general use.
By the way, the external antenna works much-much better than the built in unit and seems to acquire satellites faster. The docking station is slick in that it is not much larger than the EKP-V unlike the Air Gizmo units so saves on panel space.

When I have more info I'll let everyone know.

Bill

I went ahead and bought the dock for my V. Fits nicely in the panel and the included external antenna works brilliantly.

So far I can't get it to recognise my D100 or D120.
When I select NMEA output on, it disconnects the external antenna.
The Dynon manual requires the following sentences: RMC, RMB, GGA, and either BOD or APB.
The GPS lists the first three but not BOD or APB, but does have XTE, GSA, GSV.
I have calls in to Dynon and Avmap but no replies so far.

Anyone understand this stuff?

The current AVMAP EKP-V software does not work with Dynon or Trio products. AVMAP is aware of this and is working on a fix.

Software release date is not known at this time. If you find out, please let us know.

Had a call from Miriam today. They have beta software ready and will be sending me a copy next week.
When(if) I get it installed I'll give a shout.

I went ahead and bought the dock for my V. Fits nicely in the panel and the included external antenna works brilliantly.

So far I can't get it to recognise my D100 or D120.
When I select NMEA output on, it disconnects the external antenna.
The Dynon manual requires the following sentences: RMC, RMB, GGA, and either BOD or APB.
The GPS lists the first three but not BOD or APB, but does have XTE, GSA, GSV.
I have calls in to Dynon and Avmap but no replies so far.

Anyone understand this stuff?

Have you tried using the RMC RMB GGA and APB sequences? And are you using the single connection dock or the really expensive one? I am trying to figure out how best to instruct a new AvMap owner with his RV-9 install.

Hi Bridgette.
In conversation with Avmap, they are still working on getting the Avmap V /Dynon D100, D120 to cooperate. The current SW does not output all the required NMEA messages and seems to switch off the ext. antenna if NMEA output is selected.
I have the expensive dock which has 2 serial inputs and 3 or 4 USB ports.
I plan to interface with the Dynon and also my 406 GPS (ACK)
Avmap just sent me a beta software update, but so far it is not doing the job. I'll be calling them tomorrow to make sure it isn't finger trouble on my part.( I am in no way an expert in this stuff.)

They are working on it. I'll post when they have a fix.

EKP-V UPDATE

The latest Beta version of software and OS (1.4.61B + OS 3.0.49R) seems to have fixed the Dynon AP communication issue.
I will post more when I have a chance to fly with the software update but it does appear to be communicate properly on the ground.. This update also takes care of a couple of other issues.

OK, turns out they put out a new version of the OS when I wasn't looking. Also, see your SW version is 61B - mine is 60B.
Been away for a bit, but hoping to try it out tomorrow.
Look forward to hearing your results, Bill.

EKP-V SOFTWARE UPDATE

For those interested, there is a released update available for the EKP-V (1.5.063R - 2012-10-24).
This version now supports Dynon and Trio autopilots as well as concurrent XM weather (no need to disable one to activate the other). I have been flying with the beta version for a few weeks now it it seems to be fairly solid and it's nice to finally be able to have the AP and weather function at the same time. There are also a few user interface changes made in this version.

looking for a tutorial on Geopilot use.

Hey gang,
I've had my GeoPilot 2 plus for about 2 years...never used it much...can't figure it out, can't update the data etc. etc.

I know a lot of guys are using the EKP 4 and 5 now, driving autopilots with it etc.
Do you guys have a direct line to Dan Lyons or someone at AvMap USA?????...and he comes to your house to set it up????....cause I sure can't see how else anyone could get these things to work.
Oh, and don't get me started on the website instructions, written in Italnglish.

I think I paid about $1500 in 2011 for it.
...soon to be in the 'Classifieds' for $200.

Hi Perry. I haven't been to YLW for a while - I tend to use Vernon.

Dan Lyons no longer works for Avmap. Miriam takes the calls at support
I bought an EKP V about 18 months ago and now have it working perfectly, docked in the panel, external antenna and driving my Dynon D100,D120 and autopilot. BUT it has taken me a long time to get there.

To be fair, Avmap US has always responded promptly and helped me through my various difficulties. They have replaced my dock once and the gps unit twice!
I was probably just unlucky with the equipment failures. However, the user manual is a disgrace. Many features don't even get a mention in the manual.There is much more you need to know when setting up the dock for instance.
Avmap says they are writing an improved manual but they tend to be pretty slow and have been much later than promised with several efforts, eg the docking station.
It has been a frustrating exercise for me, but I do like the set-up now it is working properly.
Miriam has been great. Without her help I'd have given up.

indispensable, if not painful!

Thanks for that Jim,
just on my last flite, I actually glanced over at, and changed the zoom to verify that I was, in fact, heading up the right valley. With few landmarks, and cut blocks obscuring little lakes, power lines, and roads, I really couldn't tell where I was exactly.( paper charts being almost useless here!)

Sad to hear that things aren't really changing for the better at AvMap....although the tech support is good to hear.
Now if they could just get a battery that lasts as long as one in a $10 toy....mine dies at about 5 minutes.

AV Map

Anybody had trouble with the cursor toggle/control? Ours has gone out for the second time- so back to the factory again.

Ours fell out.

Sent it in for repair, they not only fixed it at no charge, but updated the software too.

Even with its quirks, I really like our AvMap. Bright, easy to see from the other side of the cockpit.

DSC06107.jpg

Last edited:
Internal memory battery replacement EKP-IV

I?ve been flying my AvMap EKP-IV for about 5 years now. Really like the unit and still think it is a very cost effective GPS. I have mine panel mounted and run it off of the aircraft power exclusively, I don?t keep any batteries in the unit.

Lately I?ve noticed if I don?t fly often, the GPS loses its configuration information. If I fly every week or so it?s OK but if the plane sits a few weeks without flying, the GPS goes stupid and I have to reconfigure it including the NMEA sentences sent to my Dynon unit for AP control. I tried hooking the EKP up to a power supply at home and left it on for a day or so to see if that would charge up the internal battery but it didn?t seem to help.

So, has anyone replaced the internal battery on an EKP-IV unit? I haven?t opened my unit up yet but thought if someone has already replaced their battery, I could get a part number, order a new one and hopefully replace it myself. I really don?t want to send the unit in for service and I?m pretty sure I can replace the battery myself even if it?s soldered in.

My AvMap EKP IV has what appear to be rechargable AA batteries. Don't recall if they are Nicads or Lithiums or ??? but should be easy to find out. Probably buy them at Batteries Plus.

The AA batteries are for powering the unit in a standalone or portable mode. I'm referring to a small (possibly button type or with solder leads) battery I suspect is mounted internally in the unit. I don't even know if the unit has one of these but it probably does and it would use it to maintain a low power memory device that remembers configuration data when the unit is powered off.

Just a quick followup on my earlier post; I decided not to try and replace the RAM battery myself. I took the back off the unit and saw the button battery had a tab welded to it and it was buried in silicone on the main PCB. I probably could have replaced it myself but didn't want to risk voiding any future warranty work I may need on the unit.

I contacted Avmap support via email and they have a fixed cost, battery replacement program which I took advantage of. The cost was $125 + one-way shipping to MA. Avmap actually replaces the entire main PCB. I assume the old PCB eventually gets reworked in a factory environment.

Anyway, the whole process took less than a week and I'm quite satisfied with the result. This is the first time I have had to send my Avmap GPS in for service. I'm still very happy with the unit after about 6 years of use.

My gps av map 4 starts up in Texas then I have to ......

Each time I start up my avmap 4 the curser will be somewhere around Texas. Then I have to move the curser over czbb and hit the zoom in button around 6 times.

I?ve been trying to find a fix but so far the only thing looking close is a full reset.

I figure there must be some way to indicate czbb as a home location. Any suggestions or help?

Thanks in advance

Move to Texas maybe?
I have a EKP V which has very fast zoom in with a knob at the top right.
However, I have had a variety of problems with it and wish I had bought something else.

Each time I start up my avmap 4 the curser will be somewhere around Texas. Then I have to move the curser over czbb and hit the zoom in button around 6 times.

I?ve been trying to find a fix but so far the only thing looking close is a full reset.

I figure there must be some way to indicate czbb as a home location. Any suggestions or help?

Thanks in advance

My EKP-4 does the same thing when the internal batteries go dead. It also defaults back to knots/NM, ground track turns off, etc.

So the problem is

The backup batteries? I?ve been thinking about pulling and recharging them. I?ll let you know if it makes a difference

Yaw like the ..

Move to Texas maybe?
However, I have had a variety of problems with it and wish I had bought something else.[/

Lowrance 2000. Best gps I?ve used. Unfortunately Lawrence decided to screw us all and left us hanging. Last lowrance product I?ll ever buy.

Lowrance 2000

Move to Texas maybe?
However, I have had a variety of problems with it and wish I had bought something else.[/

Lowrance 2000. Best gps I?ve used. Unfortunately Lawrence decided to screw us all and left us hanging. Last lowrance product I?ll ever buy.

Can?t blame lowrance. Only a few airplanes and millions of boats. I agree best gps ever. The question is how do we get updated database? I still use mine all the time, biggest problem is a few frequencies have changed.

Battery charging did it.

I charged the 6 batteries and that seems to have fixed my Texas problem. Not that I wouldn?t want to live in some parts of Texas but this makes life a little easier.

As for lowrance I always felt they should have supported (provide access to Jeep son map updates) those units they had in circulation. I?d heard they sold the 2000c right up to the day they announced they wouldn?t support them anymore. That to me is just ****ty.

Charging the batteries ...

Didn't help. I had thought the GPS was starting off in Texas because the batteries weren't holding the last location (and it loves BBQ) .

But even with fully charged batteries it still defaults to Texas after having sat for a day or two.

Long shot as this thread is old.
I am thinking of installing 2x Avmap Ultra’s one display AH & the other HSI.
Does anyone know if using just one included GPS antenna can supply both units via a splitter or do both antennas need to be installed?

Cheers👍

Back