What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing panel brace from rv6?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Question for the group.... I have a tip-up 6a that I will be upgrading the panel to full garmin g3x which will require me to replace the panel.

Currently, the panel has a brace between the two seats and I wanted to know:
1) can I remove that brace to free up leg room?
2) if yes, how hard would it be to do this?
3) loss of any structural integrity?

If you're talking about the vertical brace from the bottom of the panel to the spar carry-through, yes, you can remove it. It is not structural. Many RV-6s are built without the vertical brace.

Last edited:
Like Mel said, its primary purpose was a place to mount engine control cables, etc., so removing it is not a problem.
Usually the bigger challenge is what to do with the mounting of the panel it self because the left side longitudinal rib is usually right in the way of where the screen needs to go.

Well worth the effort! Before:

hdoFI8Cl.jpg

After:

lRpDD0ml.jpg

Lots of new room to move the lower body around on longer flights (too creepy? :rolleyes:).

Question for the group.... I have a tip-up 6a that I will be upgrading the panel to full garmin g3x which will require me to replace the panel.

Currently, the panel has a brace between the two seats and I wanted to know:
1) can I remove that brace to free up leg room?
2) if yes, how hard would it be to do this?
3) loss of any structural integrity?

What made you decide on the g3x over others like GRT or DYNON

I got a great deal on a set of screens and wanted to just stick with one brand.

Usually the bigger challenge is what to do with the mounting of the panel it self because the left side longitudinal rib is usually right in the way of where the screen needs to go.
Scott, since you brought it up...

It appears to me (and I admit I haven't looked at it *too* closely yet) on a tip-up at least, that rib serves mostly, if not completely, to support the panel itself between the panel and the first sub-panel. It seems that if one were to cut it back to the first sub-panel and rivet it there, and then make a new supporting rib on either side of whatever glass whizbang you put in the panel, that you'd be adequately replacing the support it was providing.

Does that sound about right? I get the impression that most of the glass panels now are quite shallow, and cutting that rib back any further than the sub-panel shouldn't be necessary.

From the look of all the items im getting in my g3x system, they are much shallower than any steam gauge.

D

Engine controls

I desperately need to move the engine controls from vertical to horizontal in my RV6A. Any advice or a thread already done would be appreciated. I need to room Thanks

Back