What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What use is the strip of UHMW?

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
My 6A Slider kit cane with a strip of UHMW 1/2" X 28. I think the P/N is C-624. I have not seen any reference to this in the plans yet. Any idea what it is for?

It is 0.187 thick, so a bit overkill for that I would think. I was wondering if it was supplied to use to make spacers for the canopy to frame rivets. Unless I am missing something I don't see it called out on any plans. I do see where the UHMW tape is called out around the slider fairings though.

It used to be used as a backing strip for the screws along the bottom edges of the canopy on each side. You drilled and tapped the strip for the screws.
It didn't hold up well over time, so the design got changed to using AN365 nuts instead.
What is the vintage (delivery date ) of you finish kit?

I had the same general question, my plane is done and this UHMW strip is sitting on the shelf so wasn't used in my build. I did use Sikaflex on the Canopy attachment so had no need for the spacers if that is what it was for.

On a side note, this piece made a handy dipstick to check the hydraulic fluid in my hanger door fluid tank this past week - guess I found a use.

Tape

The tape goes on the top edge of the flaps when fully extended to provide a scratch buffer as they retract.

The tape goes on the top edge of the flaps when fully extended to provide a scratch buffer as they retract.

Dont think so - its only 1/2" wide (see original post). Regardless, the UHMW tape available from VANs for this purpose should be avoided as it quickly yellows, becomes brittle and cracks.

The battery box suggestion sounds pretty good. There isn't enough material so it could have been used to back the canopy screws, and my finish kit is only a few years old. Not for the seat belts, that is a small piece. Not for the flaps.

I will check the battery box plans and instructions. I have the firewall battery mount, so I didnt look at the floor battery box plans much.

Curtis is the winner. it is the battery box. Drawing 48A has the stips riveted to the inside of the box.

My plan for the battery box is to make some modifications so it is a hinge-top. Add one of the baggage locks that came with my ignition switch and use some of the existing baggage floor screws (my floor is screwed instead of riveted) to attach it to the baggage floor. Now I have a pretty secure, but removable lock-box I can use during fly-ins to keep valuables. Probably a bit on the heavy side to leave in all the time. But good for those times when security is important.

I think the P/N is C-624. I have not seen any reference to this in the plans yet. Any idea what it is for?

The battery box suggestion sounds pretty good. There isn't enough material so it could have been used to back the canopy screws, and my finish kit is only a few years old. Not for the seat belts, that is a small piece. Not for the flaps.

I will check the battery box plans and instructions. I have the firewall battery mount, so I didnt look at the floor battery box plans much.

If the part # on the material is C-624, then it was originally meant for the canopy (that is what the "C" means)
some material gets utilized for other things but under the original part #.

Dont think so - its only 1/2" wide (see original post). Regardless, the UHMW tape available from VANs for this purpose should be avoided as it quickly yellows, becomes brittle and cracks.

I just ordered this tape and planned to install it on the bottom side of the top wing skin where the flaps slides across it. What do you recommend instead of this to avoid friction and paint scratching?

Larry

I just ordered this tape and planned to install it on the bottom side of the top wing skin where the flaps slides across it. What do you recommend instead of this to avoid friction and paint scratching?

Check out this thread
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=36038&highlight=Flap+tape

I went with the 3inch wide tape from PM Research but Flyboy Accessories has some 3m tape that is good as well. I recommend you install it on the flap as that is the surface requiring the protection; tape on the underside of the wing does not guarantee a scratch free flap. Take your time and do a good job on the installlation per the instructions and it will look good and last a long time. Still have mine on and looking good after 5 years. Also good to install a square of it around the holes on a nose gear wheel pant where the towbar attaches to prevent scratches. Good stuff!

Size matters

If the part # on the material is C-624, then it was originally meant for the canopy (that is what the "C" means)
some material gets utilized for other things but under the original part #.

Yes, and the battery box stuff on the -6 plans is 1/8 by 3/4 UHMW material - not the size referenced in the OP.

I was guessing on the part number based on "The List" that part was the only thing I could find even close. The part number may be wrong, I will have to pull the part from storage to check the tag.

The .125 vs .187 didn't concern me too much. There have been a lot of parts in the kit that changed without a change in the plans. I assume it was done for part that were changed for the -7, but close enough for the -6.
For example: the -6 fuselage kit now comes with the -7 firewall. However, the spacing of the pre-punch holes in the firewall don't leave proper edge distance on the -6 slider upper fuselage/panel rib flanges. According to another builder who bothered to check, the 6A gear weldments aren't made from the gauge steel called out on the -6A plans. Amongst other things...

In the end, I am probably wrong on the part number. I had just done a search for UHMW on the website and that was the only long & narrow strip that came up. Now I have to dig out the part just to be sure...haha

Last edited:
As Gil already mentioned, the strips for inside the RV-6 battery box have always been 1/8 thick and much wider than what you described.
The only material that matched your description was previously used on the sliding canopy but you would have had two of them (one for each side).
Since your finish kit is pretty recent vintage, you shouldn't have received that material because of a design change. So, I have no other idea what it is for unless you could supply an accurate part #.

Looking at my old plans - sheet 51, C-624 is the part number shown for the canopy screw retaining strip (the strip replaces nuts on the lower edge) on a tip-up -6 canopy.

Possible packing error for a slider?

Looking at my old plans - sheet 51, C-624 is the part number shown for the canopy screw retaining strip (the strip replaces nuts on the lower edge) on a tip-up -6 canopy.

Possible packing error for a slider?

Possibly, but not likely.

Back when it was used ( the plastic strip has not been spec.ed for the tip up for many years now either) I am pretty sure it was used for the tip and the slider.
It got deleted from the slider first, when it was redesigned / upgraded while building the RV-9A prototype, and then deleted from the tip up while building the prototype RV-7 a couple of years later.

I dug the part out and I had the part number wrong. It is the strip for the battery box. Uhmw is not in the part description so it didn't come up in my search of the list. Thanks for your help figuring out what this is for.

Back