What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Push-pull cables in lower console

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Busy with panel planning and design (Jon at Steinair). At present we have the controls for the front and rear heat mounted in the lower center console that fits below instrument panel (Aerosport panels). While it will be relatively easy to disconnect the electrical stuff place3d there, I can imagine that removing this console in future with the cable controls attached might be a problem.
Please let me know your thoughts.
(I have no way of posting a picture of the planned design, sorry. If someone can help please do).
Thanks.
Johan

My center console removes in four pieces the front frame, front panel, and two side panels.
I can unbolt my side panel and have enough cable to store/wedge it behind the rudder pedals, giving me plenty of room to work in the tunnel.

Assuming you are mounting to an insert. Just make sure you have enough slack that you can turn the insert and slip in back through the opening in the lower console.

Trust me, there will be times in which you'll want to take it apart. I've had to remove the lower console twice in the last two years.

I had a situation in which I also had to take the panel out and had to do something similiar due to my heater controls being located in the standard location.

Heat controls

I'm also using the aero sport panel and for the reason you stated I'm not using the push pull cables. I'm using the TCW liner variable actuators, that way the back seat can adjust there on heat from the variable control mounted on the back of the console.

Due paid

Last edited:
I do this with the cables mounted onto a rectangular plate with nutplates that attached behind an oval hole in the panel so you can undo the screws and the push-pull cables fit through the oval hole and stay attached and everything else can be removed. Easy peasy.

Bob,
Is the insert standard on the panel?
Johan

You'll need to speak to Geoff or Zac as to what's standard. I have several inserts that were custom made by them. I have a throttle quadrant, so I don't have an insert in the lower console.

Johan
As Brian said using the TCW controller works great as does the panel with nutplates like Jesse describes. Another option is to place the heat pulls on the lower console side panel area designed for the push pull heat, alt air or parking brake.

Geoff

Back