What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dallas / Fort Worth Area Airparks

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - we are seriously considering abandoning the sinking ship that is Illinois and looking to possible relocate in the Dallas area. With my RV-7A done and a RV-10 in the works, if we relocate, I'd really like to look at an airpark home where I could keep my plane right at home.

We've done some preliminary internet searching, but thought I'd ask the experts at VAF, the big question..... If you were locating to the Dallas Ft/Worth area, what are the best airparks to live in? We do have 2 school age kiddos (11 and 9), as well as a couple of dogs, so we'd love to have some space 1+ acres for them to run.

If any of you live in an airpark in the area, I'd love to hear your experiences.

Thanks,
Jason

Pecan plantation is the best deal in America. Look it up on google.
Call if you would like more information.
Sam

Hidden Valley is a very nice airpark, but I don't know anything about the school district.

Live at Eagles Nest (2TS6) and it is a very nice place to live with a healthy RV community.

That said DFW is a huge area with lots and lots of people. Where you work and where you want your kids to go to school may be more of your location decision than might think.

If you try to move around during high traffic times, you will be going very slow.

All these airport communities will have different styles and restrictions. You will judge based on your own priorities.

I have friends at Eagle's Nest and Pecan. Lots of RVs and EX/A activity, they love both places, but slightly different atmospheres and the water near Pecan may be a plus for you. No clue about the schools.

But if you do have a job, try and live close to where you work, because traffic in the DFW area ... well, I can't use the proper words on this site to describe it ;)

TODR

We looked across the south from Florida to New Mexico. Pecan Plantation was the best airpark and value IMO,

Pat

Check out Bourland Airpark (50F). One of my Agents lives out there and currently has a couple of listings for sale. In addition, I am currently building a custom home out there for a client.

Aledo ISD schools....top notch.

PM me if you would like more info.

Cheers!

Sean

FWIW, Airpark Dallas continues its legal battles with some success. It recently won in the Texas appeals court and will probably go to the Texas Supreme Court on appeal.

TODR

Thanks for all the suggestions.... my wife and I are planning on a trip down to the area in June to get a closer look before we move forward.

Thanks again,
Jason

dry?! I don't even think so! hour east and you can't walk to the plane without looking like you just got out of the shower. The only place with worse humidity is Houston.

We have thought about Tennessee a bit, but my wife's sister lives in the Dallas region and she'd like to be closer to her.

Thanks,
Jason

North Texas

Jason,

Please come here and check out Pecan Plantation. The people there are first rate.
There are a lot of good air parks around the Dallas 'metro mess'

Come here and fly every month.

Jason,

Please come here and check out Pecan Plantation. The people there are first rate.
There are a lot of good air parks around the Dallas 'metro mess'

Come here and fly every month.

Just please, PLEASE don't call it "Pee-kan Plantation"! This is Texas and it's pronounced "puh-khan."

Thank you!

Well - we found some cheap airline tickets and are heading down to the Dallas / Ft Worth area this weekend. I have appointments to see Pecan Plantation, Bourland Estates and Hidden Valley Airpark.... any others we should try and squeeze in during our visit?

Thanks,
Jason

You have picked the best three, there is also Propwash, and Hillcrest, but wouldn't compare to what you have listed in my opinion.
If you have time stop by Northwest Regional in case you decide to not live with your plane.

Last edited:
Nice home for sale...

at eagles nest, 2TS6- my home and hanger. I will repost here soon, with new set of pictures, etc.

3000+ sq ft house
Small pool
3000. Sq ft hanger, 45' bifold... Currently housing a Gullwing Stinson and RV4

I've been attempting For Sale By Owner, but I'm about to list with an agent. Naturally, I'd rather avoid the commission, for all concerned!

Feel free to call or email:

Bryan Pender
214-552-9561
bpsaxophone at gmail dot com.

Well - I thought I would close the loop on this thread. In late May, my wife and I spent a long weekend looking at airparks in the DFW area. We visited Hidden Valley, Bourland Estates, and Pecan Plantation.

Pecan Plantation was by far our favorite of the three. My wife liked that it was more than "just an airpark."

Late last week, we made an offer, and seller accepted for an airpark lot at Pecan Plantation (on the PP airfield, and not at the newer Landings airfield)

We are taking the kiddos down for a visit around the 23rd-25th of July and hope to close on the property when we are down there.

We are hoping to start building a house and hanger in late 2014 or early 2015.

I am really looking forward to the 90 sec commute out to my hanger and never having to shovel snow again!

Thanks,
Jason

You made the correct choice

Jason,

Moved from Illinois two years ago to Pecan and we love it. This is the third airpark we have lived on and by far the best. We live on the corner of Airpark and Flight Plan. We have three flag poles near the front door....drop by and say hello....if there is anything we can do to assist you please let me know.....welcome to Pecan.....Mark

welcome

Looking forward to meeting you folks and welcoming you to Pecan. We need another hangar with an RV7 and an RV10 in it.

I am really looking forward to the 90 sec commute out to my hanger and never having to shovel snow again!

Don't be too quick to throw away your snow shovel, you may still need it at least once or twice a year down here :D

And Welcome to Texas!!!!!

Hey Mark

Jason,

Moved from Illinois two years ago to Pecan and we love it. This is the third airpark we have lived on and by far the best. We live on the corner of Airpark and Flight Plan. We have three flag poles near the front door....drop by and say hello....if there is anything we can do to assist you please let me know.....welcome to Pecan.....Mark

Mark's first post on VAF!!! Welcome.

Mark used to live behind me (across the taxiway) at Stellar Airpark (P19) in Chandler AZ. Glad to hear you're back in an airpark.

I spent a couple of days at Pecan Plantation and almost pulled the trigger on a lot when my kid was with NBC in Dallas. Decided to wait.

Love my place in Stellar but PP would definitely be my second choice.

Mark, give me a call 480-204-0662

Would it be a rough commute from Pecan Plantation to DFW? Google shows it to be just over an hour directly through downtown Fort Worth. Is this conservative?

Thanks,

my experience

While I do not drive to dfw to work, I do make that trip often and my experience is the best time is about an hour and 15 min. Traffic or an accident can make it longer. Several airline guys make the trip to work.

Dallas/Ft Worth area airparks?

My wife and I will be visiting the Dallas area around the end of the month, and will have a spare day or so to kill. I've been threatening that if we ever move again, it will be to somewhere in TX with a hangar and runway access. A residential air park. So... although we're not contemplating a move in the immediate future, I'd love to visit one or more of them so we can take a look and she can see what I'm talking about.

So. Are there any places around the Dallas area I should check out? And if so, are they places we can just drive into, or would we need to coordinate a visit with someone to get through a gate?

We're not really looking in the half-mil and up range, although I'm not opposed to seeing those places. But I don't need a hangar for the PC-12 or Citation.

Last edited:
Eagles Nest 2TS6

I'd be happy to show you Eagles Nest - 2TS6 - about 25 miles SE of KDFW:
http://enpoa.com/

I work here from home in my office in the hangar so I'm almost always around. Quite a bit of RV activity on the field.

Most of the neighborhood is built out but there are lots/hangars/homes for sale every so often. We moved in back in '07 for the mid-300's.

Pecan Plantation

Email me when you are coming through and I probably can show you Pecan Plantation, 0TX1.

Back