- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post

--- SNIP ---

I've tried to be a communications conduit here and it doesn't seem to be working real well. This is the last response I am going to provide to this thread. It is now time for us to own the pillar we can, and that is pilot behavior/operations, and start brainstorming. I will figure out a way to cut and paste Dan's post as an initial post.

There seems to be a theme here of it is everyone else's problem. Quite candidly, some of you probably shouldn't be flying into OSH.

---SNIP---

Vic
Having flown my RV-6 to AirVenture 19 of the last 21-years, I will say that the RV Pilot MUST be able to fly the aircraft at both ends of the envelope at GROSS Weight and really be the MASTER of the aircraft if they desire to fly into OSH AirVenture.

I agree that there are some RV pilots that should NOT fly their aircraft to AirVenture.

All pilots flying RVs into AirVenture should go out and do one or more gross weight flight tests at 90-KIAS flying constant altitude and airspeed over a ground based route. (like a road, railroad, pipeline, or river) Being able to do precision soft short field landing at gross weight including go arounds are all needed to be MASTERED to fly into AirVenture without feeling stressed.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post

All pilots flying RVs into AirVenture should go out and do one or more gross weight flight tests at 90-KIAS flying constant altitude and airspeed over a ground based route.
And then go try it at 85, 80, 75, 70, 65... knots. Pick your personal minimum safe speed based on your flight tests and stick to that number. If you pick 70 knots, don't accept 68 knots. You chose 70 knots in a no-pressure, thinking rationally mode. That's the time and place to set limits.
2019(?) RV-10
Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
And then go try it at 85, 80, 75, 70, 65... knots. Pick your personal minimum safe speed based on your flight tests and stick to that number. If you pick 70 knots, don't accept 68 knots. You chose 70 knots in a no-pressure, thinking rationally mode. That's the time and place to set limits.
Exactly correct - because there WILL be someone ahead of you that can't manage speed, or is trying to make up 1/2 mile in trail from the aircraft ahead of him by reducing his speed, and forcing you back.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.