Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Default Canopy Repair

All,

One of our RV-12's had an incident (non motion) that has destroyed the canopy.

It will most likely be an insurance claim. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone that would be willing to do the repairs?

Also, the plane is not local to me. What are the chances that a replacement canopy could be built using another RV-12 as a template and have it fit?

Thanks,

-Dan
Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 PM

If the frame is good, strip it all off and start over. The KAI will guide you thru the entire process and includes fiberglassing templates. Order replacement parts for a complete rebuild.

RV-12 #328
At 435 Hrs on the Hobbs
Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweyant View Post
All,

Also, the plane is not local to me. What are the chances that a replacement canopy could be built using another RV-12 as a template and have it fit?

-Dan
I would not attempt this if you really want a good fit and seal.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold, alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 Sold, alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALEWIS View Post
If the frame is good, strip it all off and start over. The KAI will guide you thru the entire process and includes fiberglassing templates. Order replacement parts for a complete rebuild.
As I recall, if you look at the cost of buying and shipping the canopy, adding the frame in the same crate is not a big shock. If you're already shelling out for the canopy... starting with a new frame could save a lot of work. Plus you won't have to try to line up the holes perfectly. Or you could just Sikaflex the canopy on and forget the screws.

We had a damaged canopy and the frame was broken at a corner weld. Rather than stripping down the frame and getting the frame TIG welded, I decided to just replace the whole thing and save the teardown and cleanup work.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:22 PM

I think the frame is rather pricey .... May depend on what the insurance will actually cover

RV-12 #328
At 435 Hrs on the Hobbs
Old 01-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Another thing to consider, my frame was a long ways from a fit to the fuselage, took LOTS of bending and forming to match the rest of the plane. Using the old frame, especially if not damaged, might be a better choice.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:37 PM

My frame fit perfectly just needing a nylon spacer washer added to each side at the front pivot. I guess they vary. The 12 frame was unlike the 7 and 9 slider frames that needed lots of work to get just good enough on my other builds.
Purchased RV-12 sold, RV-9A- 536 hours sold, RV-7 sold, Kitfox sold
Old 01-13-2019, 03:22 PM

My frame was a good fit. The fiber glass may be intimidating to a beginner, but after you realize you can always sand it down and start over you’ll see it is probably one of the most forgiving processes in building the kit. A little 5 minute epoxy will put the foam back together if you break it or make a mistake cutting it. The important thing to remember is that the foam is just a contour mold that the fiberglass lays on top of. God bless micro balloons and epoxy slurry for hiding cosmetic glitches!😝
Old 01-13-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
As I recall, if you look at the cost of buying and shipping the canopy, adding the frame in the same crate is not a big shock. If you're already shelling out for the canopy... starting with a new frame could save a lot of work. Plus you won't have to try to line up the holes perfectly. Or you could just Sikaflex the canopy on and forget the screws.

We had a damaged canopy and the frame was broken at a corner weld. Rather than stripping down the frame and getting the frame TIG welded, I decided to just replace the whole thing and save the teardown and cleanup work.
Dale, if the day comes for me to replace canopy or rear glass, please describe how sikaflex negates the need for screws? Thanks Doug
Old 01-14-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
Dale, if the day comes for me to replace canopy or rear glass, please describe how sikaflex negates the need for screws? Thanks Doug
We've already done the rear window with Sikaflex. We'll be doing the canopy this Spring when it warms up enough to do the fiberglass work, I hope. I'll post pics. We've got the frame and canopy ready go, just need the time to finish it.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)